ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

We have OKI MC561. The printer says there is a jam in the

Customer Question

We have OKI MC561. The printer says there is a jam in the Auto Doc feeder. Can't find any paper in the ADF. It there a way to take it apart to search further?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
My name is***** will try my best to help you with your printer question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Any help? Unfortunately, I am leaving town tomorrow and gone for two weeks. Any chance we can attack this today? If not it will have to be continued the week of Aug 29. Would it be better to can cel now and resume then?
Thanks

Hi Daniel,

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thanks!

Did anything get stuck in the ADF?

Perhaps a paperclip or a staple?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that we are aware of but a couple of people use it so it's possible.

Ok, on smaller printers you can lift them and shake them, but it will be more difficult with this one!

If you open up the ADF cover and have a look inside can you see anything at all?

When you try to feed paper into the ADF, does it feed part way or not at all?

Is the printer reporting an error code?

See the last page (page 11) of the following document on how to clear the ADF jam:

https://okidata-ja.custhelp.com/euf/assets/images/answers/CMS-39/171_mc3xx_56x-rjp-r1HD.pdf

------

If you can't see anything trapped in the ADF mechanism, then it is better to try manually pushing a piece of stiff card through it to help clear any stuck debris rather than disassembling the entire printer.

Sometimes on older printers, this problem can be due to worn rollers, which only partly feed the paper into the ADF - if the ADF is used regularly then the rollers may need to be replaced.

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see anything in there when open.
I can put paper in the ADF but it doesn't do anything.
The status light flashes yellow. When I push it it reads document jammed. Reads "please open the scanner and the ADF cover."

Ok, then the sensor is detecting a jam.

Can you use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner to help dislodge any small debris that may be trapped inside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I blew it out w/ compressed air. Status light still blinks.

Ok, then the sensor is still detecting something...

do you have any thin card that you can slide through the ADF to help dislodge any debris?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm working on it. I pushed a very thin plastic sheet through and turned the machine off and then on. Status light still blinking.

Ok, you could try wiggling it about once you get it all the way in.

If you are certain that the paper path is clear then the only other possibility is a defective sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Paper path clear. How do I find sensors? Is there a way to test them when I find them? Do I remove the entire ADF?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete: Are you there? Any suggestions??

Sorry for the delay, I was offline.

You will need to disassemble the ADF to reach the sensors.

Here is the service manual:

http://rc.hasarservicios.com.ar/Impresoras%20No%20Fiscales/Manuales%20Oki/MC361_561_CX2731/MC361%20MC561%20CX2731%20TS%20Guide%20v1_locked.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete:
Unfortunately the manual gives no clues as to how to remove and/or enter the ADF. So, so far no help. But, once I do how do you test a sensor?

You can test the sensor for continuity - measure the voltage across it when it is covered and uncovered - you should see a change when you change between covered and uncovered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still do not know how to remove or take apart the ADF to find the sensors. As I stated early on, I am going to be out of the state and unable to work on this printer any further for 2 weeks+. Until my problem is solved I can't give you a good rating.

Ok, will you be attempting this yourself, or are you looking for a repairer in your area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Planning to attempt it myself.

Ok, let me know when you have returned and are ready to proceed.

You may receive automatic emails from the website in the meantime that appear to be from me - you can ignore those until you get back.

Pete.