Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years of Experience in Computers and Electronics. Office Equipment Expert.
23511658

My office manager recently did me the questionable "favor"

Customer Question

My office manager recently did me the questionable "favor" of purchasing a used copy machine on my behalf. I am not sure where she got it from, all I know she claimed it was a "sweet deal" on a Sharp Model MXB-401. Had I been forewarned, I would likely have passed on purchasing a used machine without more information as to the condition and prior usage. However, at this point the purchase is already a done deal.
The machine appeared to be working fine, but I know from past experience, that I would need to make arrangements for regular service I was starting to look around for a service contract so that when the inevitable day arrives that the machine goes down, I would know who to call. well the machine has only ben her for about one week, and that day has already arrived. A few days ago it started displaying the following error code: "U6-00." For the first few days, we could just click on the error message, after which it would go away and we could continue with whatever function we were using: print, copy, scan, etc. However, as of today , we can no longer get the machine to print. It sill works for copies, but the same U6-00 error keeps popping up and we can't get it to print. At this point, depending upon the severity and potential costs associated with repairing it, I am considering getting rid of it in favor of purchasing something more appropriate for my business. But in the meantime, I am hoping that I will be able to find somebody that can explain to me the likely cost of fixing the machine in relation to the current error code mentioned above. i am trying to get the opinion of an expert that is not also a dealer and therefore would be less likely to artificially shape their answer in a way that steers me into a new machine.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

The technical meaning of this error is Improper connection or disconnection
of connector and harness Desk control PWB trouble Control PWB (PCU) trouble Noise or interference.

In other words, a failed Control Board. While you can get a replaement board used, it isn't something I would recommend. I'm not sure what you paid for the machine, but it might be best to cut your losses rather than putting money into this machine.