Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My computer keeps losing recognition of my aficio sg3110 DN…

Customer Question
My computer keeps losing recognition...
My computer keeps losing recognition of my aficio sg3110 DN
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Office Equipment
2/17/2016
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech. replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is your Ricoh Aficio on a networked connection? (Such a printer usually is. But I have to ask.)

If it is, and if there is a problem with the connection, then you may have an unreliable router if you also have an unreliable internet connection.

Or you may have an unstable network card on your computer.

Or if there are more than one computer printing to the Ricoh, then either

1. if the problem is common to all the computers, your Ricoh's network facility may be unreliable or (nearly) 'broken'.

or

2. if the problem only shows up with one computer, then that computer is where the fault is, that needs fixing

or

3. if there are a great many computers and they all see or have the problem with the Ricoh's connection, then the printer may be overloaded with print jobs... but let me know more about the circumstances, what the error message or messages associated with the problem is or are, etc. And I will advise you further.

It is not on a network but two people use it - one computer it is normally connected to,and then it is sometimes used by a laptop, so the connector wire is physically switched to the laptop. I have had printer spooler problems earlier but those appear to be fixed. I just tried moving the wire to a different usb port but no change.

I think you may be stressing the connection too much, by 'switching USB' cables/connections/ports-on-computers.

That's not a normal way of networking a printer. And, it can transfer static discharge into the printer's port, if not the computer's ports also.

And, are the USB cables involved, very long? if longer than 6 feet, USB cables that long can produce unstable results.

Can you now, get the printer to respond or print, from either computer?

When the connection failed, how did you previously get it working again?

Aha.
The cable that came with the aficio SG3110 DN is 9 ft. long.
I have tried unplugging everything and replugging, with different sequences. This had worked sometimes in the past.
And then there was the printer spooler thing. (kept stopping) but that is no longer happening.
Can you confirm what driver I should be using? If I have other SG3110 drivers, should i remove them?
Pls. see attached.

I advise using a PL5 or PL6 driver.

Or a Mini Master driver, if there is one offered for this printer model.

And of course, use a driver for the exact model you have, and the exact version of Windows you have on the computer.

As for the drivers, I can tell the selected one is, at least, the right model.

Also, what is up with the "unspecified" deal (see attached)?

I'd advise not printing to anything 'unspecified'... but since the label is not a printer and the label is different from the one you use, I advise you to select the Unspecified entry there, only, and then Delete it.

pls. see attached

If you're using a 9 foot long USB cable, be advised that with printers, that often causes problems (but some older printers are supplied with a longer cable, as some manufacturers don't see this as a problem.)

Also networking the printer to two computers this way is bound to cause problems eventually, possibly permanent expensive problems requiring repairs, for reasons I previously explained briefly.

Thanks for providing good info that I didn't realize could affect the product. Currently, tho, the other 2 computers that we hook up (separately) to this printer have not been having this problem.
My next attempt is to uninstall and reinstall the SG 3110 DN printer. (not the drivers). But I cannot locate the disk for it. Can I download that from someplace?

Yes, most likely you can. But, I have to know first, what Windows version is on your computer?

I recently had windows 10 installed

OK. Is it the 32-bit, or the 64-bit, version of Windows 10 ?

If you aren't sure... go to

Control Panel

then to

System and Security

then to

System

and look for the System Type mentioned.

I believe it is a 64-bit since my other software is 64 but I will check when I get home and get back to you. Thank you.

OK. Let me know, at your convenience, and we will continue with the case then.

Hi again. See attached - hope this is what you were looking for . . .

That's 64-bit for sure. Thanks.

http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/re/model/sg3110dn/sg3110dnen.htm#Microsoft%20Windows%2010%20%28x64%29

is where to download the Windows 10 64-bit drivers. The one you want would be the PCL6, or the PCL5e if you feel conservative.

Be sure to first, before installing the new driver, disconnect from the USB connection to the printer, then go to

Control Panel - Devices and Printers

and select the icon there for the printer, then Del / Delete it.

*Then* go to the downloaded driver, and install it.

Thanks Russel H. I'll give this a shot after work!

OK, and let me know how it goes, at your convenient leisure. Thanks.