Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

The fax won't send because it says the line is always busy,

Customer Question
and I know for sure...
The fax won't send because it says the line is always busy, and I know for sure they aren't. Have I got it on a wrong setting? Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Office Equipment
1/24/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Marcia.

What is the make/model of the fax system?

Are you able to receive faxes?

Thanks for your help, Nathan.
It's Brother 4100e. 4 or 5 years old but not used strenuously. Could it be my carrier, Comcast?
I don't normally receive faxes so send me one. (###) ###-####
Let's both hope this is a simple fix, lol!

I can't send you one directly, I don't have a fax machine handy at the moment, sorry.

Chances are this is a comcast issue though, faxing does not work well (or at all) over digital (cable) phone lines, they were not designed to support analog devices like fax machines.

First, make sure the cord from the wall/phone jack to the brother is on the #1 (line) port, not the #2 (ext/tad) port.

Next, go into the fax settings menu, under compatibility mode, and set it to VOIP mode, then try to fax again.

You can send a test fax to(###) ###-####and it will send an automated reply fax back.

Nathan, sorry for the delay. I checked the line input and it's ok. I'll have to find the instruction book to figure out about the VOIP mode. I'll let you know what happens when I have time to fiddle with it again. Thanks

You may actually not see it as VOIP, but look for a setting for basic, or if you don't see that, set the transmit speed to the lowest option, disable error control ECM, and/or turn on "overseas" mode.

Nathan, Engineer