Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Office Equipment

I have the MFC8710DW. It won't scan to my pc (Macintosh).

Customer Question
This started after I scanned...
I have the MFC8710DW. It won't scan to my pc (Macintosh). This started after I scanned an usually large number of documents (hundreds of pages). What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Office Equipment
11/29/2015
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech. replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you scanned hundreds of pages, then they could not all be in memory still - that is not possible with a Brother machine of this model.

However, it may be that the scanning of hundreds of pages *at once*, all in one job or practically, might have overtaxed and overheated the scanner hardware and electronics, enough to damage it.

Can you still run a photocopy from the machine? if so, and if it comes out, then the scanner hardware is OK. (The only part that is not used in a photocopy that is used in a scan to a computer, is the transmitting or interface electronics used to send the image data to the computer. And if you can print through that interface still, then that's not at fault either.)

When you try to run a photocopy, if it fails, is

A. the scanner bar (under the glass sheet) moving? (Photocopy a one-sheet original face-down on that glass sheet, in order to tell.)

B. the scanner bar lighting up?

or perhaps

C. neither one is

?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It faxes and copies fine. When you go through the steps to scan to pc and you press start nothing happens. It just says "connecting to PC"

OK. Has it been set up to be working to that particular computer that you now wish it to be scanning to, before this?

Or is this a new setup that has not been gotten working yet?

I suspect that it needs to have the right parameters entered on the printer side, and perhaps a little adjustment or a lot on the computer side. So I should ask, is the computer a Windows PC, or an Apple computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a Mac Book Pro and I was scanning to it perfectly fine. I check the cable connection and there is no problem.

Is the Mac Book Pro connected to the Brother machine, with a USB cable? or some other way?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
USB. It's a new cable and everything was wiring fine. If I try to scan without a connection the machine tells you there's no connection. The machine is not telling me there's no connection. It says "connecting to pc" and nothing happens.

Thanks for the information. ...Can you still print?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can print and fax

Then the comm facility through the hardware of the interface and the USB cable are still working.

And that you can fax (if that means you can Send a fax) means that you can still use the scanner hardware.

How recently have you

1. sent a fax out, successfully

and

2. printed a document from the computer ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
five minutes ago.

Good. So scanning hardware works, then. (Did you verify that the scan did not come out, or the fax from it come out, blank at the other end?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fax came out okay

Good!

Then the last question is, if the whole of the printer is doing so well - printing fine, scanning fine and faxing OK and a good image from that fax sending... then why can't it Copy?

Try the Photocopying function, please.

And tell me about the computer you are trying to Scan to - is it a Windows PC, or an Apple? and what version of the Windows or MAC OS X does it have on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't say it can't copy. It copies fine, it faxes fine. It no longer scans to my pc, which is a Mac Book Pro, OSX 10.7.5.

OK, good, it copies and scans a fax to send.

I think it's clear enough, that if only the Scan function, to your MacBook, doesn't work at present, then it ought to be solvable by a replacement of the drivers / scanning drivers (since the printing drivers obviously work.)

But first, have you tried a reset of the printing system? that might also reset the scanner function, possibly? I advise trying it. (If you need instructions, let me know, please.)

Russell H., Service Tech.