Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Office Equipment

I want to buy a fax machine (yes, people still use these)

Customer Question
that automatically stores both sent...
I want to buy a fax machine (yes, people still use these) that automatically stores both sent and received faxes in memory (volatile memory would be ok) so that I can print these transmissions (documents) up to a few days after the transmissions have occurred.
I want this to be automatic with having to perform additional steps during the send process. I would prefer this be a stand alone machine that doesn't require a computer attached to it. Can someone specify some fax machine make(s) & model(s) that can perform
this function?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Office Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/26/2015
Technician: dukey01,
 replied 1 year ago
dukey01

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Sent faxes are only stored in memory until the next fax is sent. The rationale for not saving the faxes it that you've already

put a printed document through the machine and thus already have a copy.

Sent faxes are stored long enough to ensure they are sent in case there is some type of transmission error

a retry can be attempted.

Received faxes are different in that they can be saved if the feature is turned on.

A Brother 2840 will do what you need.

It's a standalone machine: http://bit.ly/1NQWg9X

Fax storage is not turned on by default but once enabled it stays on until you turn it off.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=fax2840_us_as&faqid=faq00000356_010

The best you can do with sent faxes is print a record or journal of their transmission:

https://www.brother-usa.com/myaccount/content/MFC6490CW_Xmit_Report_faq_8-26.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your answer is what I want to do (re-print sent faxes) can't be done?I'm not satisfied with I answer. I think there has to be a machine out there that can do it.
Technician: dukey01,
 replied 1 year ago

I've looked around. They don't exist. At least not in the form you're looking for and I understand why. Fax machines were designed for transmittal, not storage. The only reason they have storage for received faxes is in case the thing runs out of paper or ink.

I'll keep looking for something that will work but I'm not hopeful unless a PC is part of the equation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to work with another expert.
Technician: dukey01,
 replied 1 year ago

Not a problem. The question is open to all experts. I was looking in to this:

https://www.ricoh-usa.com/products/docs/pdf/brochures/facsimile/fax4430NF.pdf

I reached out to Ricoh on the question of sent faxes and this was their response:

Response Via Email(Bruce McNeil) - 11/27/2015 09:12 AM
Thank you for contacting the Ricoh Technology Support Center.

Sent faxes are not stored. Ricoh has fax software packages available for purchase that might be an option for you.
Please see our web site www.ricoh-usa.com (http://www.ricoh-usa.com) for more information.

Thanks,

Bruce McNeil
·
Product Support Specialist
Technology Support Service Center

RICOH AMERICAS CORPORATION
4667 North Royal Atlanta Drive
Tucker, GA 30084
Phone:(###) ###-####OPT 1,2
Fax:(###) ###-####
*****@******.***

Technician: dukey01,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi. I was looking in to some higher-end fax machines in the hope that there might be a solution. I was looking at this in particular:

Since my question wasn't answered in what I found online I contacted Ricoh to ask about sent fax storage.

Here was their response:

Thanks,

Bruce McNeil
·
Product Support Specialist
Technology Support Service Center

RICOH AMERICAS CORPORATION
4667 North Royal Atlanta Drive
Tucker, GA 30084
Phone:(###) ###-####OPT 1,2
Fax:(###) ###-#### ***@******.***

I would expect the same response from all other manufacturers.

Technician: Freddy M., Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Fax machines store information on the sent files but not the entire document. For example it would should the length of the fax as well as the time and date. It will not store the entire fax in memory as it would need a hard drive for that. In order to get something like that you would need a bigger machine normally a Xerox or Ricoh which can be expensive.. They also rarely do it locally you are better off with a hosted fax service that keeps a fax digital archive of everything sent/received here is what you would need:

http://www.office.xerox.com/software-solutions/ixware-online-fax-service/enus.html

If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or that current fax machines are not capable of this without help from something like that fax service.

Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service