Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Office Equipment

Ricoh MPC 5000 jams on scan only from ADF

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Office Equipment
10/9/2015
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech. replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does the original document jam in the ADF, or does the jam occur somewhere else?

Where in the ADF does the jam occur (or with the paper how far into the ADF) if it jams in the ADF?

Does the first page into the ADF cause the jam, or is it one of subsequent pages?

I have some suggestions for this problem, but I need to know the details I just asked about before giving advice on the problem, please. Let me know those details, and I will advise you.

it only comes when scanning nut when copying it jams on the lower part of the ADD you can reach under the feeder and grab the paper it does not jam when faxing my copier tech has lubricated and cleaned the wheels he also cleaned the optics
Thanks for any help you can give

That's a strange error - you can fax, but you cannot photocopy??

Please confirm that... it sounds very abnormal, and frankly not good news at all, I'm sorry to say. (Previously I was supposing a paper sensor in the ADF might be at fault, but at this point, I am beginning to suspect that something much more severe, and frankly expensive, is the problem.

I am presuming that you do both copying and faxing using the Ricoh printer's own panel controls, not software on a computer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you might have misunderstood we can fax and copy but when we tried to scan that is when the jams occur if you feel that a phone conversation would be helpful I have no problem with that just do not want to call too early

That's fine... and thanks for the clarification, it is appreciated.

I think that the problem depends upon

A. whether what you scan is of unusual size

and

B. perhaps, what software or what commands you use to do the scanning.

Please let me know on these points, and I will think over the situation and get back to you after a while. (-Or sooner, if I need more details about the problem.)

we use E copy to a folder on an office server and I just tried scanning 20 pages and it jammed at page 9 the same job copied fine

Page 9 as the place where it jams sounds hard to figure out.

Could it be that the jamming tendency is just randomly happening during scans?

If so, cleaning rollers in the ADF could help.

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

I had a copier tech here albeit not from Ricoh and he did all that already and it copies fine, faxes fine, just tried it again and it copied 25 pages and jammed on scanning on page 9 again.I appreciate your trying and will pay your fee regardless. The copier tech is also confused. The only thing I see differently in the process is that the scan is faster than the copying. Quite frankly at this point this machine has been annoying me for 2 of the 3 years it has been here. May be time to turn it in to a boat anchor.

Well. Is there anything unusual about the 9th page? Perhaps:

- staple removed from it

- corner turned down (formerly or currently)

- wrinkle or folding of that one page

- different size from the rest of the pages, by a noticeable amount

- or anything else noticeable ?

Have you been scanning the same document each time the 9th page has jammed?

Have you also been copying that same document as the one you have been scanning, and did you do the copying with the ADF, as well as scanning with the ADF?

I know you're tired of the machine, but I was wondering whether the document could perhaps be at fault.

As for the scanning being faster than the copying, that's observant of you, and interesting. If the scanning could be done slower, it might put less stress on the system of feeding pages... but still, jamming twice at the same page hints that the 9th page is defective somehow.

I did think of that but we have switched documents and even used paper that has already copied successfully.

I think the faster speed (of scanning, that you have observed) is crucial to the ADF paper jams.

I suggest that you disable "Scan Into Memory". That might slow down the sequence of pages fed into the ADF when scanning.

That is done how?
I will look also

Scan settings, past doubting.

I'm looking that up.

General Settings - Scan Settings - and a choice from there.

Russell H., Service Tech.