Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

FAX machine, BROTHER FAX 750/770 does not work. What do you

Customer Question

FAX machine, BROTHER FAX 750/770 does not work. What do you suggest
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
How is it that it doesn't work? does it make dialing noises, or the fax-connecting noises associated with a fax that has dialed out and connected?
Or is it that it does not receive faxes? or that it does not send faxes? or both.
Please describe your problem in a little more detail, and I will advise you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When the unit is plugged in, none of the buttons work. The display also stays blank. is there a fuse in the equipment that should be replaced?
That sort of problem is not owing to a fuse. (But tell me: are there any indicator lights, even just the power light, that comes on, when the fax is switched On ?)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing comes on.
If the fax makes no noises, no lights come On even briefly, then you can do two things:
1. check that the power cord is securely plugged in and attached, at both ends.
2. try the fax in another outlet altogether. (And try a standard, known-to-be-working, device like a lamp, in the outlet the fax was running off of.)
After that... you can leave the fax overnight (or 6+ hours) unplugged, and then after that plug it in again and see whether it works at all.
But if it does not, the question is: was it powered directly from the outlet, or through a surge protector? I fear that it probably took a power surge, if its power (and, for that matter, it's phone line) was not protected from such disruptions of the voltage level of the power supplied to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Have to leave. Will get back to you in 20 days.
OK... there is no hurry as far as I myself am concerned. Thanks.