Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I am experiencing poor copy quality on our Xerox 5030 copier.

Customer Question
(from both the glass and...
I am experiencing poor copy quality on our Xerox 5030 copier. (from both the glass and the feeder). The top of the page is fine, but the bottom portion of the page is very faint and fuzzy. There are no error messages. How do I fix this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Office Equipment
6/17/2015
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech. replied 3 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If you had a single-drum (monocolor or black-and-white) copier, this might be owing to a damaged drum, owing to age and/or exposure to bright light for too long, on one side of the drum and while the machine was open or the drum was removed and in the light.
Replacing the drum would be the cure for that... taking care of the new drum, of course. And keeping the old drum in the new drum's packaging, just in case it proves not to be the problem, and to be re-usable.
However, there might also be a more expensive and bothersome problem causing what you describe: a loss of charge or high-voltage as the printing cycle progresses, owing to (most likely) a defective power-supply. (High voltage comes from the power supply, you see.)
I changed that part. The machine is a Xerox 5030, which is a monochrome copier. The part I replaced was #113R00608. This improved the issue quite a bit, but the copy quality is still not as good as it should be. Any other ideas?
Good so far, then.
What else is wrong with the print quality?
Could you post me a scanned or photographed copy of an example of the current print quality? that would help a lot with my assessment and recommendation, though I seem to have gotten it mostly right (correct me if I'm wrong) already.
Thanks.
Hi Russell,It is essentially the same issue, but not as extreme as it was.Attached are many scans. I have one of a text-only copy, a photo print that was copied, and I went into the access area and printed the image quality tests.Here is a little more information about the supplies:
Document Handler Feed Roll:
Predicted End of Life - 365 daysXerographic Module:
Image Count 134
Predicted End of Life - 365 daysFuser Module:
Image count: 18478
Predicted End of Life - 365 daysThanks.
It looks as if those three maintenance items were just replaced, for the EoL figure to be 365 days in each case. I presume that is so.
The images... the first image conveys the fading at the end - the first page being 'normal quality' I presume, and the second page being 'defective quality', again I presume.
The second image shows fading at the top of the second page - presumably the 'bottom' of the page though.
There is defocusing and softening of the image at the top of the Test pages in IQT 1.pdf.
The line test pages show no problem, oddly enough, only the bar tests.
In summary: if this is after the drum change, not before, then copying is still severely affected, and darkening the image contrast would not make it any better. And the problem is distributed toward the 'end' (top or bottom) of the copies and prints.
What to do about it? well... that depends upon:
1. what you have already replaced in the machine... please confirm.
2. whether (when replacing things) you have noted any spilled toner loose in the machine, generally.
Hi Russell,Yes, we have replaced those items recently. The scans are from after changing the drum. It has been awhile since we replaced the fuser, but it still has a lot of life left with only 18K copies on it right now. We replaced the toner and waste tank prior to my initial inquiry.We have seen a little bit of spilled toner in the main area of the machine while replacing parts, although it is very little. Attached is a photo of the inside of the machine. It shows the loose toner.
The fuser wouldn't cause a printout problem like that... but if it did, you'd look at the fuser rollers and see toner caked on them, mostly on one side (??? very unlikely.)
Your machine looks in very good order. What I would call a considerable amount would be on the order of a half-teaspoon or more, and I don't see any sign of that much.
I'm really beginning to be out of ideas on this, to be honest. Was the drum you put in 'remanufactured', or previously used, or anything like that?
Hi Russell,I double-checked all of the rollers and parts I can reach and do not see anything with toner caked on them. I am familiar with this problem as I've experienced it other larger monochrome equipment, however I do not see any of this on this machine.The drum was brand new and a genuine Xerox part.
Granted, the problem looks like a drum problem (to think aloud a bit.) On the other hand, it didn't change with replacement of the drum, not altogether.(But it did change some, didn't it? let me know if the change was really small or really none, in printing quality, after the drum change.)If the drum only affects it slightly, it might be something else too. I would have to guess, but have you replaced the toner cartridge? and, for the current cartridge: did you shake (gently) the toner up, before putting it in the machine? that is when toner spills can happen, need I say.
Hi Russell,After changing the drum, the quality improved about 50%. We had changed the toner prior to requesting help. Please let me know what else I can do to fix it. thanks.
Is the drum well-mounted? if it were uneasy in its rotation, the beam that forms the image on it might be 'out of focus' for some of the revolution of the drum, you see.
So, check how well-mounted the drum is, and whether, when mounted in place, it shifts easily in one direction, or the like.
That's a very non-standard problem, and there may be no way to check that easily, I'm aware. Also, be sure to not damage the drum surface by knocking it against anything, touching its photosensitive and touch-sensitive surface. So while seeing whether it moves loosely in its place or 'has a loose axle' as it were, be sure not to damage it nor handle it except at the very ends perhaps.
Hi Russell,The drum is mounted in place and doesn't seem to be shifting.
I am sorry to say that I am out of ideas on this problem. Since I have nothing more to offer for the problem, I have Opted Out, with apologies.This gives you a chance at a second Expert's opinion and advice, without additional charge.