Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

In need of some immediate 911 printer tech support :(

Customer Question

Hi, in need of some immediate 911 printer tech support :( How on earth, at 9pm EST, without the service dept at xerox open, can I get assistance fixing a big red streak of color running down the middle of all of my prints? I currently use a Xerox 7500.... PLEASE HELP! anybody! :(
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I know something about Xerox printers / copiers, and laser printers of many other brands. Perhaps I can help you.

Let's begin with these points:

Did anything precede the appearance of the big red streak? e.g. replacing a cartridge, or internal maintenance in any way, on the printer?

Are you using genuine Xerox-OEM-original toner supplies / cartridges ?

Is the red streak down the full length of every page, from top to bottom and with no margin nor border ?

If your print has no red in it - e.g. a printed page of black-and-white text - does the red streak still appear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell!

here are some answers to your questions....

1. An absolutely USELESS xerox tech was here this afternoon and literally took apart my entire machine. All we called for was occasional color registration issues when we print navy. Nothing we couldn't deal with, and again, nothing we actually deal with frequently. We called bc we pay for the service and thought maybe something quick could be done about it. Never did I think he would CREATE another problem. he said he completely replaced a few elements within the machine, but I didn't see which ones :( then I believe he replaced toners also. B/c as I soon found out after he left, what he "replaced" he replaced with used toners. I had to waste another entire set of brand new toners from my stock to replace what this tech replaced.

2. the streak is from top to bottom of printed elements ONLY not the entire sheet from tip top to bottom. when you are looking straight at the print....the streak is HEAVILY noticeable on the right side and very minimally noticeable on the left. Both streaks are approve 3 inches from the outer sides of the 11x17 sheet of stock I'm using. the red only shows up on printed items on the page. anything the toner touches and not the negative white space of the card stock. (80lb to be exact. nothing we don't normally use on a day to day since I've had the machine for a year).

3. when I printed all navy text only, and not solid color... no streak appears. it just appears on heavy amounts of full coverage color.

Thanks for your help with this! really appreciate it!

As for the streak... you say it is not on the entire sheet from top to bottom.

Is it either

1. missing toner, no toner deposited on the page, or a change in color wherever something tried to be printed (to a red color, I presume) ?

or 2. is it deposited toner, or extra toner?

If (1), then that would be a matter of one color not being deposited, or perhaps two colors. To make it reddish, the color that would be missing would no doubt be the cyan (light blue) color of toner.
Going further with this... it's possible that toner, loose or spilled toner, go onto an element known as the corona wire, in the cyan section of the printer. With certain 'lesser' laser-type printers, this corona wire would be cleaned, simply by moving a colored plastic tab, on the cartridge, back and forth several times along the entire length of its range, that is, the length of the cartridge almost.
And that would be a colored plastic tab on the cyan cartridge, not one of the other cartridges, just the cyan one.

(But, yours may have a corona wire positioned differently in the machine, and not included in the cartridges.)

But let me know whether the 'red streak' is (1) or (2) or something else, as it looks on the page, and I will advise you more specifically.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so...

def # ***** ... and I BELIEVE a change in color. From it's appearance. It's not a chunk of toner missing. for lack of a better explanation... it looks like the sun discolored the navy block of printed color in just that section. a fade of coloring, if you will..

It DEF may be spilled toner... I even asked the tech if he should be cleaning out all of the loose toner... he assured me "maybe, but I'm cleaning it a little"

there are these thin plastic pieces that can be moved back and forth (the length of the larger toner cartridge) that over the phone service techs have told me to move back and forth several times and place back in. Is that maybe what you're referring to? Should I try that again? with the cyan toner?

Right, so it's a fading of color in an area like a stripe, ...or missing of color along an area like a stripe.

Yes, that is what I am referencing. Do try that, with the cyan toner particularly.