Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Office Equipment

AFICIO MP161 "NEEDS TONER MESSAGE" WILL NOT GO OUT

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Office Equipment
4/30/2015
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech. replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I would assume that an optical (light-sensitive) sensor is registering wrongly. The thing to do about this would be to remove the toner bottle - even if it's full, and I don't mean the waste toner bottle either... - and clean, carefully, around the toner of the color that the error message references, with a clean dry rag cloth.
Esp. clean by wiping, anything that looks like an optical sensor. An optical sensor would have an emitter on one side, and a sensor on the other side, and something would go between them. They would be covered, probably by a small square plastic window. Wipe that 'window' off carefully, put the toner bottle back in, and see if that clears the message once the covers on the printer are all closed.
Also try turning the machine Off for 15+ minutes, then On again, to see whether that clears the error.
I need better info on location of sensor. Would it be at the mouth of the toner bottle ?? Are you familiar with the referenced copier?Also you say "clean around the toner of the color that the error message references". What do you mean by clean around the toner?? This is not a color copier. The message says needs toner. Never said message was referring to a color.Do you think reinstalling copier would help?? Why would turning off for 15 minutes help??
Copier is also known as Ricoh LD016 SPF
OK, there is only one color of toner.Try turning it Off for 15 minutes or more, if you haven't already. This may reset the message by doing a mild sort of reset of the circuitry.As for the sensor... I'm not sure where it is in this printer. Near the one color of toner bottle, is there any evidence of leakage of toner into the printer's inner workings at all? if so, some cleaning would be advisable.
We have tried cleaning where we saw any toner powder but there was not a big problem with excess. You did not comment on idea of reinstalling
Reinstalling the printer's driver could be tried.But I doubt that it would help much. However, it can be tried. I can get you instructions on how to do so with a maximum chance of success, if you would tell me: What is your computer, a Windows PC or an Apple computer?Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found inStart - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)
Will look
OK. Let me know, at your convenience. Thanks.
Can I send pic of copier's inner works and you point out where I can clean optical eye? I would need email address
Try attaching such a picture file using the 'paper-clip' icon in your Reply editor for JustAnswer.com.
See 4 pics. See 1st pic; looks like rectangular box 1x2 could be photo eye??
On closer look box is probably some kind of toner waste containment area. There is a slide opening where toner does drain. About a tablespoon "drained" when I slid the chute open.
Certainly the first photo showsA. some toner leakage - onto the surface of the toner bottle 'base', for instance, andB. a boxy thing on the side of the 'toner bottle base'.Taking both together, wiping those off thoroughly, would be advisable. Also check for whether the waste toner bottle is full. (If a clean, empty, waste toner bottle was provided with the full toner bottle, you should put that in also.)
I have been unable to detect any waste bottle. I have some familiarity with an auger operation and waste capture are in other machines but I don't see a resembling configuration for this machine. As said before moving slid chute caused some toner to discharge but a very small amount compared to waste that I have observed captured in other machines. Where would "waste bottle/area be located? Cods mall box be all that is needed to capture waste from this machine? What about location of optics that detect toner loaded?? You did not offer any more ideas for location from pics sent
No, the pictures did not inform me of much, unfortunately. I suspect I should Opt Out and open this case to another Expert in this category who knows more about this sort of laser printer. I have done so (Opted Out.)
Russell H., Service Tech.