Office Equipment

I have a MX870 on a wireless network that works great as a…

I have a MX870 on...
I have a MX870 on a wireless network that works great as a printer. I can also use it as a scanner by using several scanning software but when I try to use the MP Navigator 3.1 it tells me that the printer is not connected. I have reloaded the software and printer driver and have uninstalled the printer on the network and reinstalled. ... Read full answer
I have a MX870 on a wireless network that works great as a printer. I can also use it as a scanner by using several scanning software but when I try to use the MP Navigator 3.1 it tells me that the printer is not connected. I have reloaded the software and printer driver and have uninstalled the printer on the network and reinstalled. Suggestions?

What I want to do is scan a large (100 page) document into one final package which MP Navigator will do but my other packages won't.

Thanks.
3/23/2014
Russell H., Service Tech.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Without your operating system information, I may have a bit of trouble advising you in detail. Please state whether you have a Windows PC or an Apple MAC OS X computer.

As for the problem with MP Navigator EX not communicating and seeming to be not connected to the printer/scanner ... that may be explained by your firewall not having given permission to MP Navigator EX, the program, to communicate with the printer/scanner over the network. Most likely that is being blocked by your firewall, and you will need to configure the firewall to all MP Navigator EX communications ability.

Let me know what firewall or firewalls are in use (not disabled, that is) on your computer, as well as what type of computer it is, and I ought to be able to advise you to a solution.

My system is windows Vista. I use mcafee security. My router is NetGear duo wireless-N. Printing works fine. scanning with vue-scan works fine. Computer is a hp laptop.

I don't know what you mean be configuring the firewall?

Thanks.

Configure McAfee Security. Configure the internet security or the firewall part.

Go into the 'applications' or similar section, give the MP Navigator EX application permission to communicate with the printer.

It's that simple.

Let me know if you need help determining what 'to communicate with the printer' means, or etc. Thanks.

Sorry for delay in response. I went in to McAfee firewall settings and added MP navigator. Rebooted laltop. still does not work...gives me error that says cannot communicate with scanner...either turned off or disconnected from LAN... Code5,145,55.

i then opened VueScan scanning program and it worked perfectly just by pushing the scan button.

So it is still not working. Thanks for your additional help.

Well, then I'd say if you can use MP Navigator EX, then perhaps you should just give up and do without it ? I don't know how that would seem to you.

The reason that i want to use mp navigator is because it will colgate multiple pages into a single file. Is there another software that well do that with the canon mx870? And it is free of course.

One similar problem with MP Navigator scans, turned out to be owing to insufficient permissions level on the part of the Windows user. If you are logged in to Windows using an underprivileged account, that might explain the inability of MP Navigator to use the scanner.

If you have the password XXXXX the Administrator account, or if you have the password XXXXX *a* administrator-level account, then try either logging into that Windows account and doing MP Navigator scans from there... or else right-click upon the file that starts the MP Navigator program, and choose Run As Administrator and enter a username and password XXXXX an administrator-privileged Windows account.
(To find the file that starts MP Navigator, go to the link or shortcut or menu item that starts it, right-click upon that, and choose Properties, make sure the Properties are on the Shortcut tab, then choose 'Find Target' to open a window with the MP Navigator program itself highlighted in it.)
Russell H., Service Tech.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I cannot get my Epson Scan software to recognize my Epson
I cannot get my Epson Scan software to recognize my Epson XP830 MFD. It works as a printer. I have deleted and reinstalled my drivers.… read more
Senior Engineer,
My mx330 scanner is not working, the prnter is working
the prnter is working great. however its not scanning. … read more
Service Tech.,
I have pixma mg 7120. windows 10 operating system. I can
I have pixma mg 7120. windows 10 operating system. I can print but not scan. This is new yesterday. I click on document scan in Quick menu, the screen says "scanner warming up" and after 2 or 3 minute… read more
Rusty
Rusty
Audio Video Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
My MX740 printer/scanner/fax machine is not scanning. I am
My MX740 printer/scanner/fax machine is not scanning. I am receiving this error message 3,202,16. Please advise… read more
Rusty
Rusty
Audio Video Technician,
I have a C5580 All in One and the Scan Pro stopped working.
I have a C5580 All in One and the Scan Pro stopped working. I get the message that the scanner is not detected. It prints and copies, but won't scan all of a sudden.… read more
Rusty
Rusty
Audio Video Technician,
I have a Canon Pisma MG6320. I have had to take my desktop
I have a Canon Pisma MG6320. I have had to take my desktop computer to be repaired so I am currently using a Toshiba laptop as a backup. My printer prints from the laptop with no problems, but I canno… read more
Service Tech.,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
hello Joshua my name is***** have a used ricoh aficio mp
hello Joshua my name is***** have a used ricoh aficio mp c5000 color multifunction copier.the printer prints fine. I cannot use the scanner to my pc running windows 7 64 bit.… read more
Service Tech.,
My MX410 Cannon will not scan to the computer. It used to.
My MX410 Cannon will not scan to the computer. It used to. I have done everything that is suggested including downloading Maverick. I check all the cords. I unlugged everything and plugged it all back… read more
Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech
Computer Technican,
I have just purchased a printer /scanner. Having trouble transferring
I have just purchased a printer /scanner. Having trouble transferring picture back to Picasa3, I get a perfect picture back on the preview mode on computer screen, model MG3260. If I press Scan it jus… read more
Carl L
Carl L
Master Technician,
iR 5000, scans and copies just fine. Scanner works just fine
iR 5000, scans and copies just fine. Scanner works just fine through ethernet cable through a router. I am running Windows XP and iR5000 software. However, I can't it to print documents from my comput… read more
Carl L
Carl L
Master Technician,
I can copy a document to my PC but it is then in jpeg format
I can copy a document to my PC but it is then in jpeg format and I am unable to deit text. Is there a solution, please?… read more
Service Tech.,
MP 970 ij combo with scanner. The latter has decided not to
MP 970 ij combo with scanner. The latter has decided not to scan. Message indicated the system could not find the scanner, or the lockout switch was incorrect. Not so. Device Manager reports scanner i… read more
Service Tech.,
Stop searching for answers—
My Pixma MX300 wont scan through my Windows 7 PC, although
My Pixma MX300 won't scan through my Windows 7 PC, although it works OK as a printer and a fax. When I try to scan it says the machine is not connected. Strangely it scans perfectly when connected to … read more
I have a Canon scanner LiDE 110. I cannot convert a tiff image
I have a Canon scanner LiDE 110. I cannot convert a tiff image by way of the OCR into a word 2010 document with the ability to edit or copy and paste to another file, such as for translation purposes.… read more
Service Tech.,
I have a CanoScan LiDE 210. I have managed to lose the
I have a CanoScan LiDE 210. I have managed to lose the screen which gives you many choices including scan, mail, save, etc. The screen I am on now gives me only two choices: autoscan and photos/docume… read more
Service Tech.,
Hi, After I press start for the scanner this error message
Hi, After I press start for the scanner this error message comes up. "the scanner driver supported by this software is not installed. Please install it ans try again"… read more
Retired,
Just purchased a 9000f. Worked initially with drivers on CD.
Just purchased a 9000f. Worked initially with drivers on CD. OS is Win 7 64 bit. Downloaded the latest drivers for scanner and latest for MP Navigator---and RGB. When try any scan always get message "… read more
Mary
Mary
Technical specialist,
I have a PIXMA MP280 printer/scanner--prints fine but when
I have a PIXMA MP280 printer/scanner--prints fine but when I try to scan, it gives me error code 2, 151,44. HELP… read more
Service Tech.,