Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Office Equipment

I Have a Xerox phaser 8560 printer that is about 3 years old

as best as I can...
I Have a Xerox phaser 8560 printer that is about 3 years old as best as I can remember. In the last 6 to 8 months it has started using cyan & magenta ink at an alarming rate. It appears that the ink is mostly ending up in the waste tray. In the past when I emptied the waste tray the waste ink looked all black and burned. But now it appears to still have some purple color remaining in it. I have been using non Xerox ink ever since the ink supply that came with the new printer ran out. probably 2-1/2 or more years ago. Only recently have I had this problem, so I am inclined to think that it is NOT an ink compatibility problem. Any ideas on how to fix this?
7/7/2012
Russell H., Service Tech.
It still might be a non-Xerox ink compatibility issue of the sort that happens after awhile rather than instantly.

This page has a long discussion of how non-Xerox ink in a Phaser solid-ink-type printer can lead to printhead failures:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/23195

and the official Xerox language about use of non-Xerox solid ink in their solid ink printers is, that they are not responsible for damage to printers owing to use of non-Xerox solid ink.

So it is accepted that as far as printhead failures are concerned, it's best to use standard Xerox solid ink. However, your question concerns a somewhat different issue: lots of ink going 'unused' or not passing through the usual heating process.

Possibly, just possibly, the problem you are having is, that ink is not being heated adequately by the printhead. I would like to ask whether there has been any degradation of printing performance by your printer lately?

This page discusses the issue of non-Xerox solid ink and increase in waste ink:

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11199319/xerox-xerox-phaser-8560n-color-solid-ink-printer-reviews/reviews.htm

specif. these paragraphs:

Solid ink is not for occasional printing - the cleaning cycles from under-use will cost a lot in ink and printer repair.
If you are printing 1000s of copies per month it appears to be a good choice.
This is something that you should have been warned about in Xerox's
guidelines for appropriate printer choice. The solid ink color
printers are designed for workgroups with a certain minimum threshold
of printing. I remember the literature giving the range of copies
per month. It's the technology, not the brand.
My recollection is that the solid ink is continually being heated,
and if it isn't used in printing, the system is prompted to do a
cleaning cycle to clear the ink feeding paths and waste ink recycles
into a bin. Printing a certain number of copies every day keeps
those paths clear, and so you don't have a cleaning cycle that dumps
way too much waste--and the waste ink does cost a lot. Also the
printers break down because they are not being used enough. Again
those repair charges are an onerous cost burden.

And another document states that a gasket leak in the cap/wipe/purge assembly gasket, could alter the amount of waste ink in the waste ink tray. So you might want to check for such a leaky gasket.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Russell H., Service Tech.