Craig Stark
Craig Stark,
Experience:  Chief Medical Officer at Evercare Group
106299194

Diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis completed 7 day course of

Diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis completed 7 day course of Metronidazole Gel. Symptoms not improved. Started on Probiotics+Yogurt 4 days ago. No improvement. Shall I continue use of Metronidazole Gel?I took an OTC Vaginal Health PH Test which indicated PH is abnormal.

Hello, my name is***** am a board-certified internal medicine physician with 20 years of clinical experience. I look forward to assisting you.

The recommended treatment for bacterial vaginosis is either Clindamycin or Metronidazole. If intravaginal doesn't work then a trial of Metronidazole orally for seven days or Clindamycin orally for seven days would be indicated. If one medication doesn't work then the other should be tried. Reoccurrance is common. Approximately 30 percent of patients with an initial response to therapy have a recurrence of symptoms within three months and more than 50 percent experience a recurrence within 12 months.

It is important to confirm the diagnosis and a vaginal culture may be indicated if the symptoms don't resolve with the typical treatment to rule out another cause.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Please feel free to save me as a favorite and I would be happy to answer any medical questions you may have in the future directly. If you have the time to provide a rating it would be most appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If there is anyway you could answer a last question? I applied the gel daytime instead of before bed 5 of the 7 days by mistake could this have prevented it from working properly?
It probably would not have made a difference. I would recommend trying the oral treatment if possible.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you thank you!
If you prefer intravaginal then you can try the clindamycin vaginal formulation as well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will ask for that as I would like to avoid oral antibiotics as much as possible as I already have Chronic Gastritis!
consider having a vaginal swap to confirm the diagnosis if this wasn’t already done. Sometimes treatment failure is due to treating the wrong organism.
Vaginal swab that is
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will thank you