OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having very heavy periods for the last 12 months…

Customer Question
hello there I have been...
hello there I have been having very heavy periods for the last 12 months and then my dr did a Ultra sound and then it was 2017 and found a 20mm fibroid and then I was still having very heavy periods, at one stage I had to go to the hospital as my periods where so heavy and was very worried I couldbleed to death as the clots that I get are about the size of a golf balls and its very scary, and then when I went into hospital that one time they did a Ultra Sound while I was there and they couldn't find my fibroid as the report was possible small intramural uterine fibroid 18mm, ? myometrial appearance suggestive of Adenomyosis. Endometrium 2.4mm So does this mean that I have Adenomyosis. also I had this ultra sound while I was on my heavy period,
Submitted: 9 days ago.Category: OB GYN
7/11/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 9 days ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

It sounds like you most likely have both a uterine fibroid and adenomyosis. Both conditions can cause heavy bleeding. However, heavy periods can also be caused by hormonal changes, especially at age 39.

An MRI could probably determine for sure whether or not you have ademomyosis. Whatever the cause, I think you need a good OB/GYN doctor to help figure it out and what to do about it. If you're not planning on future pregnancies, a hysterectomy will resolve the problem, whatever the cause. If the cause of the heavy periods is hormonal, then hormones (such as low dose birth control pills) will generally resolve that. Sometimes a progesterone IUD is a good treatment for heavy bleeding, regardless of the cause, including when there is adenomyosis or fibroids. Your hemoglobin should also be checked and you should be taking iron pills.

So your doctor can figure this out and get the heavy bleeding resolved. Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
My Last Period was not very heavy and it only lasted 3 days, and it was only mildly heavy, and I find that before I have a period start I find that if I do a bowel motion then after I am finished I will have blood there but its not a lot and then the that bleeding goes away for a week or 2 then I get my period sometimes,Also If My endometrium Thickening is only 2.4mm that is thin. then how can they say that its Adenmoyosis??They Checked my hemoglobin at the hospital when I went in April bandit was 132
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Also are Doctors able to do a Hysterectomy while I am awake as I very afraid of General and being put to sleep under a drug
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Please give me a reply As soon as you can, Thanks

Adenomyosis is a condition where the uterine lining grows into the myometrium (uterine muscle wall). You can have a thin endometrium and have adenomyosis.

A hysterectomy can be done using spinal or epidural anesthesia, and this is usually preferable. General anesthesia is not necessary.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
But they have question marked it on the scan report?

Irregularity of your periods suggest hormonal cause. You may have all three, hormonal changes, fibroids, and adenomyosis.

The ultrasound appearance may only be suggestive of adenomyosis. As I said, an MRI can be more definite.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
have you had people have a hysterectomy via regional or General?

Yes, both work, but I prefer regional anesthesia for a number of reasons. Studies have shown that there is less pain after surgery when regional anesthesia is used.

I'll be gone for about a half hour. I'll be happy to answer any further questions then.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
also can you tell me what I could feel when being awake for the hysterectomy when doing it regional.

You would feel no pain. Generally you would be given some IV medication, and depending on how much, you would be more or less of what was going on. That is generally your choice, depending on how aware you wish to be.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
is it normal to feel some pressure when they are taking the uterus out?
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
would a Gyn that lives in my state in Australia be willing to do it with regional if I am very afraid of general, also would I be able to have a family member in the O.R With me,

You may feel some pressure, but likely not.

I doubt that you would be able to have a family member in the OR.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.