OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had my period last week- started the normal time of the…

Customer Question
I had my period...

I had my period last week- started the normal time of the month and lasted the 7 days... now im spotting

Doctor's Assistant: Are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?

No and not having sex either- I didn't get my period at the end of april and took 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative- been super stressed because my boyfriend started sleeping with my best friend :( then got it may 31st until june 7th and now im spotting

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?

Last june and all fine- I went to doctor at beginning of april due to heavy periods and she did an ultrasound and blood tests

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a hormonal imbalance which is causing the absent periods at times as well as the current spotting that you may have been experiencing. Even if we discount the absent period from your current issue, simple spotting of this sort can also be due to a hormonal imbalance. A hormonal imbalance can develop in women because of a number of different reasons which can include anxiety, stress, infections, exercise, physical activity, strenuous exercise among others. This would usually settle down on its own within 1-2 months in most cases however in some patients, medications would be needed for a period of 1-2 months.

A hormonal imbalance can be diagnosed with the help of a simple hormonal blood panel and a clinical examination. Now in your case since you are experiencing mild spotting at the moment, I would suggest that you monitor the situation for the next 4-7 days, usually, the spotting would settle down on its own. However, if it does not or if you develop any of the following symptoms then contact your doctor,

Heavy bleeding

Burning urination or increased urinary frequency

Persistent lower abdominal pain

Fever

Vaginal discharge

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a 5-star rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.