OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a FSH, AMH and Estradiol to test for early onset

Customer Question
menopause and to get a...
I had a FSH, AMH and Estradiol to test for early onset menopause and to get a sense if I may be able to get pregnant. I took the test Day 3 of my cycle with the following results FSH 11.7, Estradiol 43 and AMH 1.71. I'm 39. What does this mean?
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: OB GYN
6/1/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 23 days ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the FSH level at day 3 is usually between 3-10, levels greater than 12 are considered as abnormal and levels greater than 25 are a clear sign of ovarian failure or menopause. In your case, the levels are borderline, which indicates that you may be still fertile but may have low fertility. The best indicator of fertility is the AMH level as it does not vary with the days of the menstrual cycle, the normal levels are 2-6.8 ng/ml (the units are important here as this test can be measured with two different units ng/ml and pmol/L, do check on your results what the units are). Your levels indicate a low level of AMH which falls under the category of a low fertility state. remember this does not mean that you CANT get pregnant but rather that it will be more difficult to get pregnant. The estradiol levels, on the other hand, are normal as they should be under 80 at this stage of the cycle.

The two more important indicators of ovarian function are FSH and AMH, estradiol by itself is not a very good indicator of fertility. In your case, the slightly elevated FSH levels and slightly low AMH levels do indicate that you are less fertile than other patients in this age group BUT it does NOT indicate early menopause/ovarian failure at the moment.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Here are the thresholds if this helps any.

The thresholds are as I assumed, the AMH levels are in ng/ml which means that they are slightly low (not markedly so) and the FSH levels are slightly high. These levels don't indicate that you are in menopause but it does indicate that you have reduced fertility.

Do you have any more questions?

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 20 days ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a 5-star rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.