OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a fibroid laproscopic myomectomy 6 months ago. i have…

Customer Question
Hi, i had a...

Hi, i had a fibroid laproscopic myomectomy 6 months ago. i have dull pain on my left side lower back pelvis area, and i have mucus discharge after my menstrual cylcle that lasts a few days. wondering how normal that is and if i need to see my doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Excercise helps

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Besides the subserosal fibroids? no

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
6/1/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there! Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask how old you are?

How many fibroids were removed, and do you know if the endometrial cavity was entered during your myomectomy?

i am 50. there was a 4cm fibroid near my left ovary and a 10cm one at the top of my uterus. i believe the cavity was entered with a camera during the surgery

I apologize for the delay, there was a bad storm in my area last night and we lost our Internet.

But I am back and ready to help!

What you're describing sounds like nothing to worry about, and is unlikely to be related to your prior myomectomy if it hasn't been a problem in the last 6 months.

The average age of menopause in the US is 51, and in the years preceding menopause, as our hormones gradually start to decline, it can affect our menstrual cycles (and our vaginal and cervical discharge). This may just be a reflection of your changing hormones and thus discharge.

Another possibility is that a fibroid has grown back, and could be causing the dull pain you are experiencing. Removing the fibroids unfortunately does not prevent future growth of another fibroid.

well i hope it hasn't grown back! i thought the pain could be scar tissue build up pressing on nerves or something. but thank you for the information, i feel better that it's not likely anything to worry about.

Scar tissue can definitely form in the months after surgery, but it is usually painless. Also with laparoscopic surgery the risk of intra-abdominal scar formation is quite less compared to say, having a big incision on your abdomen.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above, and I thank you.