OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been dealing with "mechanical low back pain" for about…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I've been...

Second opinion] I've been dealing with "mechanical low back pain" for about 8 months that went out of control a in March. The doctor's can't explain it as my blood, urinalysis, lumbar x-rays, are clean, and I don't present with neurological symptoms. I'm behind on my cervical screening and my mind is worrying that I've got cervical cancer/tumor and that's what is causing the low back pain. Is that likely?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No recent injuries. The only thing that has helped is returning to physical activities and cognitive therapy exercises like journaling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My STI testing is behind as well.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
5/31/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Have you been having any lower abdominal pain? any abnormal discharge?

No discharge, sporadic pain in the abdominal area. The pain generally centered in my low back and sacrum.

Is the pain constant or intermittent? Is it positional?

It's been constant for two months. Physical therapy and massage help for a short time. I've recently lost 80 pounds with diet and exercise.

Pain in this region is typically myofascial or arthritic in nature. In other words, a soft tissue structure such as a ligament or tendon gets injured and is unable to quickly heal due to constant energy going into the low back to keep us upright or moving. Repetitive strain is a common issue, or what we call repetitive microtrauma. Similarly, the joints of the low back and sacral area can get inflammed or degenerate over time. These types of afflictions do not normally show on x-rays. A CT scan or MRI would be needed to look at the region in detail.

A structural abnormality makes more sense than a tumor.

Yes, by far.