OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just became the proud owner of a my first ever IUD I opted…

Customer Question
I just became the proud...
I just became the proud owner of a my first ever IUD I opted for the non hormal on better known as the copper T or Paraguard. I got the IUD in Feb and since then pretty much everything has been rolling along well. Up until a month ago. Last month on the 28th my husband and I were intament and after words I had a sharp pain and began to bleed vaginally. I thought well okay I guess I just started my monthly no biggie. 21 days later my husband mentioned to me that iv been sleeping alot, and I relized my iron must be low from all the bleeding iv been doing - by bleeding I mean as much a super tampon and pad hourly down to 5-6 pads a day- So I call up to my Dr office set an appointment I get in and my Dr acts like its no big deal, but to appease me he give me a prescription to Actavis. Tells me to call him in 5 days if the bleeding hasnt stopped. We are now day 30 and I still havnt stopped bleeding, I become nauseous and faint sometimes I even feel like Im going to pass out. But now I cant get into talk to my dr until August? What do I do? What is wrong with me? Is this even normal??
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
5/30/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 months ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, my name is***** and I am a women's health physician.
I am sorry you are having these symptoms.

I am worried because you are feeling faint - which as you mentioned, could be a sign that you are losing blood that what your bone marrow can compensate for. Did your doctor check your hemoglogin level and iron levels?

Paragard IUDs can sometimes cause heavy periods which usually improve within 2-3 months.
But continous heavy menstrual bleeding associated with signs and symptoms of severe anemia is very concerning.

Is there another OB GYN you can go to? Or at least see your primary care doctor (GP) to get some blood testing done?

I will await your response, thanks.

The Dr did check my levels and told me to take an iron supplement. He however did not mention to me about Hemoglobin levels.

It would be important to know the actual hemoglobin level especially if you are having symptoms related to anemia - fatigue, dizziness, feeling faint - is there another doctor you can go to get checked again, since the other doctor cannot see you until August?