OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My clitoris has retracted or disappeared. Since my hysterec.

My clitoris has retracted...

My clitoris has retracted or disappeared

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Since my hysterec. I haven't had one in years

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had not had sex for sev years after my 1st husb died

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

I have some issues but Dr s say I am in good health

5/29/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What is your age?

Did you undergo total or partial hysterectomy?

Are you taking any medicines?

Do you suffer from vaginal dryness?

Stress and mood swings?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

72, total hysterectomy, yes, isosorbide, plavix, cymbalta,1mg at bedtime, synthroid, ometprozol, estradiol patch. I use a lubricant for dryness. I do have orgasms. I don't have mood swings or stress any longer

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, The clitoral hood and the entire clitoris are estrogen responsive. Therefore, along with the rest of the female genitalia, they can atrophy when deprived of estrogen after a total hysterectomy.

However, as you are using estradiol patch and you still feel your clitoris is retracted then you should get a pelvic exam by your gynecologist.
"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

I had researched this at one time & the best I can remember, the article said something about the clitoris can sometimes disappear behind the hood but can be retrieved. Is this a possibility?

Thank you for replying back.

Usually, the clitoris can get shrunk only if the level of estrogen decreases in the body, as in menopause or post total hysterectomy.

I suspect that more than the clitoris having shrunk, it is likely that the hood of the clitoris is slightly inflamed and hanging over the clitoris so that the clitoris appears shrunk.

This does happen occasionally, especially if you have an infection of some sort.

As there is no associated reduce sensitivity and no difficulty in an orgasm so you needn't worry.

You need to take the following steps to decrease the inflammation:

- Take a warm sitz bath(you need to get a large bowl, large enough for you to sit in. Half fill it with warm water and add 3 capfuls of Betadine solution (available OTC). Sit in this solution 2 times a day.)

- Apply Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment over the area twice a day.

You can ask your doctor for topical cream for the clitoris or the procedure clitoroplasty, involves removing scar tissue, pulling the remaining clitoris up to the surface, and then stitching it into its natural place.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor
Thank you Dr

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.