OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to know the normal progesterone values that…

Hello,I would like to know...
Hello,I would like to know the normal progesterone values that confirm ovulation on day 21.Thank you.
5/29/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, my name is***** and I am a women's health physician.

Day 21 testing checks a woman’s progesterone level to confirm that ovulation has occurred.

Following ovulation, there is increasing production of progesterone from the corpus luteum and the progesterone levels gradually rises from a baseline of 1.5 to 3 ng/mL by the first day after ovulation. Levels then continue to rise until it reaches a peak 7 days after ovulation reaching levels of approximately 10-20 ng/mL.

The timing of ovulation, and the associated peak in progesterone, is related to the subsequent menstrual period, not the preceding one. In an average cycle of 28 days, the time between ovulation and the next period is about two weeks, so progesterone is measured about seven days before the expected period, or on Day 21. However, if a woman’s cycle is longer or shorter than 28 days, the testing day will be adjusted accordingly. For example, a woman with a 35-day cycle would be tested for progesterone on Day 28.

Hope this information helps and I am available to any follow up questions that you may have.

I found this online. I want to know the minimum amount that indicates a healthy ovulation.

A level of 10 would indicate ovulation.

10 ng/ml or 10 nmol/l

the unit of measurement is ng/ml

this would be around 31.8 nmol/L

Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN