OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Currently being treated for Chlamydia. Took the antibiotic…

Customer Question
Currently being treated for Chlamydia...
Currently being treated for Chlamydia. Took the antibiotic on Thursday last week it’s now Tuesday
I had sex with the condom broke will it mean that he is infected or will it have been cleared?
He was also treated
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
5/28/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

The chance of transmission is incredibly low. However, we recommend that you don't have sex without a condom for 10 days after the infection. So if the condom broke then there is a chance he could have gotten infected.

even if l was treated 6 days ago?

Yes because that's not the full 10 days.

What are the chances?

Quite low. Probably in the 5% range.

What is the quickest the antibiotic had worked
I took
Azromythin
The antibiotics eradicate the infection within about 2 days but there can still be some bacteria left for up to 10 days.