OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question about abortion being denied on the grounds…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about abortion being denied on the grounds of Low blood pressure

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?

It is in relation to my Wife. She had a checkup today

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
5/28/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Anil Kumar

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you.

I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Thank you. It is in relation to my Wife who has been denied an abortion today due to Low blood pressure
She is towards the end of her first trimester
her doctor in New Zealand says it’s too risky to perform any abortion. Is there no other options for us?
Her blood pressure is slowly improving but not enough apparently
She is also concerned about losing too much blood in any abortion and possibly dying.
I live in the Chicago area - is there any alternative treatments to end this pregnancy ?
She accidentally fell pregnant to another man while in New Zealand. Hence we need to do this to save our marriage
But two of her Doctors in New Zealand have both said the blood pressure is too Low. And although they expect it to improve by the second trimester this will be too late to perform any abortion

As such at the end of 1st trimester Medical abortion can't be done.Medical abortion can only be done around 6-7 weeks.

The only option is to improve blood pressure and perform surgical abortion.

She may take plenty of salt rich fluids.

Oral rehydration fluids can be helpful to improve the blood pressure.

I/V saline may be helpful in such cases to improve blood pressure.

Thank you. So there is little option for her. If she can’t get her blood pressure up then she can’t proceed with an abortion. Could she admit herself into a hospital to get treatment for blood pressure?

I suppose she can get her hemoglobin checked and admit her to a private nursing home.

Intravenous Normal saline can improve her Blood Pressure within 1-2 days.

Thank you.
5e abortion should be safe?
the surgerical abortion should be safe after that?

If her Blood pressure is stable after I.V fluids her doctors can safely perform surgical abortion.

Check her Complete Blood Counts as well.