OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My problem is Ive been suffering a pain from my vagina the…

Customer Question
My problem is Ive...

My problem is Ive been suffering a pain from my vagina the pain is like a spark of electricity i cant understand and it freeze me when it hurts ive been suffering for years and im still virgin, one day i wake up it coz bleeding i thought it was my menstruation but its not and now the pain goes to my butt already. It attack Twice a week. im 21.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

No,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did not undergo check up on this pain

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: OB GYN
5/28/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 28 days ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, my name is***** and I am a women's health physician.
I am reviewing your question and will come up with a response momentarily.

Please disregard any phone call requests as this is automatically generated by the website, thanks.

Based on your description of your symptoms, it sounds like you have a condition called pudendal nerve irritation or pudendal neuralgia.

The pudendal nerve is one of the main nerves in the pelvis, supplying areas such as the:

• lower buttocks
  • area between the buttocks and genitals (perineum)
  • area around the back passage (rectum)
  • vulva, labia, and clitoris in women

Pudendal neuralgia can be very uncomfortable and distressing.

The main symptom is pelvic pain. Any of the areas supplied by the pudendal nerve can be affected.

Causes of pudendal neuralgia

Pudendal neuralgia can occur if the pudendal nerve is damaged, irritated or squashed (compressed).

Possible causes include:

• compression of the pudendal nerve by nearby muscles or tissue
  • prolonged sitting, cycling, horse riding or constipation (usually for months or years) – this can cause repeated minor damage to the pelvic area
  • a growth pressing on the pudendal nerve

In some cases, a specific cause isn't identified.

It is important to schedule an appointment with your doctor so you can have an evaluation of your symptoms. Pudendal neuralgia can continue to get worse if left untreated.

There are some tests that can be done to diagnose this condition:

These tests may include:

• a vaginal or rectal exam – to see if the pain occurs when your doctor applies pressure to the pudendal nerve with their finger
  • a MRI scan– to check for problems such as entrapment (compression) of the pudendal nerve and rule out other possible causes of your pain
  • nerve studies – a small device inserted into your rectum is used to stimulate nearby nerves with mild electrical impulses to check how well the nerves are working
  • nerve block injections – pain-killing medication is injected around the pudendal nerve to see if your pain improves

Treatments of pudendal neuralgia include:

• avoiding things that make the pain worse, such as cycling, constipation or prolonged sitting – it may help to use a special cushion with a gap down the middle when sitting
  • medications to alter the pain – these will normally be special medications for nerve pain
  • physiotherapy/ physical therapy - a physiotherapist can teach you exercises to relax your pelvic floor muscles (muscles used to control urination) and other muscles that can irritate the pudendal nerve

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any, then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. But if you don't feel that I have, please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me, I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on.