OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 39 years old and would like to get pregnant. Due to my…

Customer Question
I am 39 years old...
I am 39 years old and would like to get pregnant. Due to my old age, is there a way to test to see if my ovaries have any abnormalities. What are the chances of having down syndrome or some other defect if I am able to get pregnant naturally. Also I due have an ovarian cyst and fibroids if that makes a difference.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
5/26/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 months ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hello, my name is***** and I am a women's health physician. I am reviewing your question now.

May I ask the following questions:
Are your menstrual cycles regular?
How long have you and your partner been trying to get pregnant?

Have you had any blood testing done - to check hormone levels?

I will wait for your response.

You may disregard any automated responses for phone calls as this comes from the website, thanks.

I wanted to send this information from the National Down Syndrome Society:

Advanced maternal age is one risk factor for Down syndrome:

A 25-year-old woman has a 1 in 1,200 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome; by 35, the risk has increased to 1 in 350; by age 40, to 1 in 100; and by 49, it's 1 in 10

I will wait for your response and then get back to you on your answer health concerns, thanks.

My cycle is regular (26-28 days) but heavy due to fibroids. We have not started to try yet as I was trying to see if there is a way to test ovum quality. If I have a high chance of chromosome abnormality we aren't going to try. I have recently taken a FSH, Estradiol and AMH test to which I am awaiting the results.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there is really no test to check egg quality. Of course once you are pregnant, you can opt to have an amniocentesis early on in the pregnancy to check for Down’s syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities via