OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have abnormal cells in the cervix if it comes back that…

second opinion] I have abnormal...
second opinion] I have abnormal cells in the cervix if it comes back that has spread to my whole cervix is the only treatment a hysterometry?
4/7/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The cervix contains different layers of tissue - the first layer is the mucous membrane, then the muscle layer and lastly the serosa layer. Cervical cancer is a slow growing cancer and it can take years for the cancer to go through all the layers. Treatment depends on the stage of the disease.

Were your abnormal cells detected by pap smear? Was a biopsy of the cervix taken? Were you told what stage you are in?

Yep papsmear then biopsy from cm3 very high abnormal cells early stage of cancer? Cm3

I believe that you mean CIN3 - also called high-grade or severe dysplasia.

CIN 3 means that the cancer cells have developed in the full thickness of the mucous membrane but has not yet entered the muscle layer or the serosa layer.

Treatment for CIN 3 is a procedure known as LEEP - Loop electrosurgical excision procedure. It uses a wire loop heated by electric current to remove the cancer cells and tissues in the cervix. Another procedure known as cone biopsy can also be done.

In both these procedures, the uterus is left intact, no hysterectomy is done and you can get pregnant in future.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar