OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I took an antiobotic named FOSMYCIN for a infection and I'm…

Customer Question
I took an antiobotic...

I took an antiobotic named FOSMYCIN for a infection and I'm pregnant and its been a week and I still have loose stool movement

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yrd

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

When the doctors did lab work , she said I had everything normal just since the medicine I been having cramps and diarrhea the cramps went away but I still have diarrhea

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
4/3/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hello. This is Dr. Pennington. I am a surgeon. I am sorry you are having issues.

Some antibiotics can cause a colon infection called pseudomembraneous colitis, caused by C. Diff, a bacteria that can overgrow in the colon when the good bacteria in the colon are killed by the antibiotics. It can be quite serious. We test the stool for it. It would be best if you had a stool study right away to determine if this has happened to you. Your primary care doctor or any walk in clinic can send you for the test.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

is this safe while pregnant
I am in my first trimester - 9 weeks
OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

No, this drug is typically not used during pregnancy unless the benefit definitely outweighs the risk.

Were you given the drug by a physician?

this antibiotic was given to cure the infection in my urine
OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Indeed, that is what it is typically used for.

Are you still taking it?

no, it was a single dose - a dry powder that I had to mix with cold water
I have been to the doctor twice and they did blood text , urine test and stool sample
I'm still waiting on the results
can I take something meanwhile I get the results for the diarrhea
OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Excellent, that dose is safe while pregnant. It is a pregnancy category B drug.

I do not think the drug hurt you or the baby, but the diarrhea could be serious.

Does the stool smell bad?

A colon infection would need to be ruled out before taking anything for the diarrhea, as you would want an infection to pass.

OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Once the stool is tested, you should have results in 24 hours.

I'm just worried because this is my first pregnancy and I having more symptoms then the normal ones
cramps while having bowl movements but that has gone away . its just diarrhea
OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Best to have a stool study to rule out c. diff colon infection. If it is negative, then no harm done by the antibiotic. You would also benefit from a good probiotic, like VSL#3

no the stool didn't smell , but I been trying to keep hydrating like pedylite and rice and toast, no diary which I was taking after but didn't know that it would make it worse so I stopped
OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Good, I am glad it did not have an odor, as c. diff often does.

A probiotic will help, but I would not take an anti-diarrheal unless you test neg for c diff.

what can I take over the counter for probiotic ?
OB GYN Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

VSL#3 at 112.5 billion is the best you can get over the counter. Make sure it is refrigerated. There are other good ones, but look for number of organisms, make sure they are refrigerated, and take them twice daily.