OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I came looking for reassurance that Keflex and Macrobid

Customer Question
Hi Doctor, I came looking...
Hi Doctor, I came looking for reassurance that Keflex and Macrobid combo I was prescribed couple of days ago (for UTI and early stages Mastitis) is safe for breastfeeding. I usually take no medication at all, even unmedicated births for the benefit of my daughters. :(Thank you!Martina
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
4/2/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Vakul Aren

Hello Martina,I am Dr. Aren and i have over 37 years of clinical experience,i will help with your query.The amount of Macrobid secreted in breast milk is negligible ,this drug is considered safe for use ,in babies less than one month an alternative may be preferred.

The amount of Keflex passed on in breast milk is 1-1.5% of the total dose you are taking,taking the drug immediately after breast feeding will further reduce the amount secreted in breast milk as the drug has a half life of 1.5 hours.You may look out for thrush,vomiting and diaorrhea in the baby,a probiotic taken with the Keflex will help.The dose of Keflex is usually preferred to be 1gram or less while breast feeding.