OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had the nexplanon implant for almost a year with no…

Customer Question
Ok, so I...

Ok, so I have had the nexplanon implant for almost a year with no period, and I had sex last week for the 1st time since I got the implant, and now a week later I've started lightly bleeding.. is this normal or should I worry

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

No pain, and I want had not 1 period since I got the implant, except for the 1st week when I got the implant

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
4/1/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

While the slight bleeding is not normal, you have no cause for worry either.

The nexplanon releases hormones into the blood stream. This can affect the cervical cells which can change from a squamous type to a columnar type. These cells are normal cells which bleed lightly when touched by the penis.

Slight bleeding can also occur if you have a mild vaginal infection.

Please consult a doctor to check if you do have an infection.

In most cases, the vaginal bleeding will clear up spontaneously in about 3-4 days.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.