OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been taking oral birth control for about 2 years but…

Customer Question
I have been taking...

I have been taking oral birth control for about 2 years but I have never been very good at taking it consistently (would take 3 months off then get back on it, forget pills, etc.). I had an appointment with my doctor 3 weeks ago and we switched my birth control because it just didn't seem to be working with my body and I hade stopped taking it for a month leading up to this appointment. I never started my new BC because my period was gonna start soon and I figured I would wait, have my period, and then start my new pack on that Sunday. my period is now 3 weeks late but pregnancy tests have been negative. My period is usually clockwork. We used condoms while I was off my BC but I am just a little apprehensive.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

I am having pain that started today in my lower back and have had some mild cramping. I get really bad cramps usually before/during my period and these are very mild compared to that.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My periods are very regular usually

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/29/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

If you have had negative pregnancy tests on more than one occasion then you are definitely not pregnant. There is no false negative on repeated pregnancy tests. 3 weeks late for a period warrants a visit to the Ob/Gyn, at this point, I will encourage that you schedule an appointment with your Ob/Gyn but hopefully since you are getting premenstrual symptoms, there is a chance you might get your periods. The most viable explanation at this time is hormonal fluctuation since you have been on and off your OCPs. Taking OCP is a commitment since it can disturb your hormonal balance if you are inconsistent with the medication. I also suggest that you start on your OCPs this time and try to be very compliant. If you think compliance will be an issue, it will be better to resort to other methods of contraception like using a condom and/or getting an IUD.

Your Ob/Gyn can give you more information on these methods.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!