OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had my mirena in for over 5 years is this really bad?

I was not having any...
I have had my mirena in for over 5 years is this really bad? I was not having any periods for the last 3 years. I am now have cramps that are pretty severe as well as vaginal bleeding. Just wondering if this can wait until I get an appointment with my gynecologist or more emergent. Thanks
3/29/2018
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
How extensive is the bleeding?

How many days is it going on?

Did you try any medicine?

Thanks for your response. The pain has been going on for 3 days and I have been having the bleeding only today. It’s not heavy bleeding lighter then a normal period
I have a prescription for tramadol and I took 2 of those and that has not helped at all

Thank you for the input.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.

Mirena can cause missed period for long time.

It is an usual side effect.

Motrin can be better to reduce the pain.

As the bleeding is not too much, you can wait to get an appointment for a gynecologist.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.

Wish you healthy life.

Regards.

Thanks! That really helps. One last questions is it still able to prevent pregnancy?

You are welcome.

Usually Mirena is effective for 5 years.
Sometimes it can work for 7 years too.
We need to know the cause of sudden pain.
Examination will be needed.
Sometimes Mirena can be displaced.

Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)
Perfect thanks a lot