OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does estrogen help strengthen or thicken the uterine wall…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Does estrogen help...
Second opinion] Does estrogen help strengthen or thicken the uterine wall during pregnancy?
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: OB GYN
3/29/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 25 days ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your question. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn and I can respond shortly.
Estrogen rises during pregnancy and many studies have been conducted on pregnant sheep. Estrogen allows increased blood flow through the uterine artery that allows the uterus to grow. Uterine muscles enlarge from increased blood supply, and I imagine without the role of estrogen on blood flow, increased size of the uterus wouldn’t happen. I hope my information can answer your question.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
That seems to help, thank you. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and this will be my 4th csection. My doctor with my last csection told me that when he did the csection he was able to see through it before he cut it open and then told me that sewing it back was like sewing together two wet napkins. Is 5.7 mm uterine wall thickness considered thin?
It’s thin and raises concern about the lower uterine segment as term approaches. The most common incision made on the lower uterine segment is made across from left to right. Some are done with a low vertical incision on the uterus. Ultrasound can monitor what might be going on with the lower uterine segment.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is there an "about" measurement when it comes to Thickness? How many mm is considered thick?
You must have had a recent ultrasound and the anterior lower segment wall measured 5.7mm. We don’t know what that segment will measure after 34 weeks gestational age. The observation during the last csection is important, as the thickness then, would be less than 5 mm. to see through it.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN