OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does estrogen help strengthen or thicken the uterine wall…

Customer Question
Does estrogen help strengthen or...
Does estrogen help strengthen or thicken the uterine wall during pregnancy?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
What is considered a thin uterus? Mine measured at 5.7 mm
3/28/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. I cant answer that question because i have no idea how far along you are. In addition that sounds like the lining not the uterus Estrogen helps the uterus grow, maintains the uterine lining , increases blood circulation, and activates and regulates the production of other key hormones. In early pregnancy, estrogen promotes the growth of your breasts; later on, it helps develop milk ducts Estrogen triggers the development of the baby’s organs and regulates bone density in the long bones
I'm sorry. I'm 20nweeks pregnant and this would be my 4th csection. My last csection my doctor told me my uterus was thin enough to see through and that it was like sewing two wet napkins together.
Ok. That helps. Its not your uterus that is thin, its the lower uterine segment at the old scar. And yes, that is thin. After the 3rd c section, risk of complications rises exponentially. Such as uterine rupture, placent previa and placenta accreta. Heavy bleeding is also more common
I'm already dealing with placenta previa but no bleeding. What is considered a "normal" thickness for a uterine wall on a csection?
There’s no data on that that is meaningful. But 5 mm is very thin