OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I got the bar method birth control in my arm February 14th.

Customer Question
I got the bar...

I got the bar method birth control in my arm February 14th. I got my period beginning of March and it has lasted all month long. For several weeks I have had very dark brown blood in small quantities coming out. I am concerned because it is constant.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

No pain. My periods are usually very regular and last about a week.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did have a medical abortion in December. Surgical. But I doubt that has anything to do with this..

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/27/2018
OB GYN Doctor: MD doc, Doctor replied 3 months ago
MD doc
MD doc, Doctor

Hi

Welcome to just answer

Abnormal bleeding after the bar birth control implant can occur in some females. It usually resolves in a few weeks. But if it continues, then patient might need an examination and a course of doxycycline antibiotic usually stops the bleeding. I would recommend you to wait for a few weeks for this to resolve. If there is no improvement, then consult your Ob-gynae for need of intervention.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Regards

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Regards