OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m 50 and had the Mirena for the 2nd time a year ago due to…

Customer Question
Hi I’m 50 and...

Hi I’m 50 and had the Mirena for the 2nd time a year ago due to severe endometriosis. I have suddenly started to lose a lot of blood - completely out of the blue after no bleeding for several months. It’s very heavy. Any ideas please as GP just shrugged!

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I’m fit and healthy. Good weight. Don’t smoke or drink and play a lot of sport. Work very stressful.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that the endometriosis was extremely bad and I have had lots of operations. Mirena been great for years. I have to have it inserted under anaesthetic due to level of endo.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: OB GYN
3/27/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 25 days ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn and I can respond shortly.
The progestin in the Mirena has probably worked so well, that the lining of the uterus is so thin it is bleeding. I’ve found success with this problem with a single shot of delestrogen, after doing a transvaginal ultrasound to see that status of the endometrium. It shouldn’t create a problem with endometriosis. I hope you can correct your problem although it may stop bleeding without doing anything. No way to know how long it would take just waiting.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN