OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Need clarification on transvaginal results

need clarification on transvaginal results
3/26/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

How can I be of assistance today?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello Dr. Hope all finds you well. My mom received her pap smear and tranvaginal results today. She is 66 years. No family history. Diabetic and high blood pressure. The results are as follows. uterus measures 7.3 x 2.4 x 3.9 cm. Endometrium measures 3.4 mm. In the lower uterine segment here is a inhomogeneous mass measuring 2.3 x 1.7. Mass may be a myoma. No previos studies to confirm.My mom is disabled and I follow here medical history closely. Since this is a new doctor, he doesn't have her history. However, she has been diagnosed with this myoma for over 15 years. It was monitored by ex Dr. Actially, it has shrunk over time as before it measured over 3 cm. My concern is, he is sending her for a D N C. Her pap smear and mammogram are both normal and no pelvic bleeding. I a very scared

Reviewing your response and will be with you in a moment.

If she's had the myoma for several years and it hasn't changed (and in fact decreased in size), and she is having no bleeding or other symptoms, you may wish to find the previous ultrasounds where the myoma was seen to show her doctor that nothing has changed.

Myomas (or fibroids) are typically benign, meaning not cancerous. We worry about cancer in a fibroid if someone is bleeding, or if the fibroid grows in size, especially after menopause.

I would agree with you that nothing in this ultrasound sounds like a red flag.

May I ask why her doctor is planning for D&C?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He mentioned her lining as thick. I got nervous and did not ask. I just find it extreme for a DNC,. Im concerned because she has a host of cardiacx problems. DOes her thickness seem off? 3.4 mm Thank you so much Dr. for your quick response
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am by far not a medical professional, but I have read that anything under 5 mm is acceptable
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
based on those measurements, does the myoma seem too large?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am scared of putting her under general anesthsia if not warranted.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'm sorry Docotr, are you still there? Thank you

I'm here. Will be with you shortly.

3.4mm is within what I would expect for an endometrial lining after menopause (when we expect it to be <4mm). I haven't seen the ultrasound pictures so I can't comment on what the myoma looks like, but again, nothing sounds like a red flag.

You could ask your doc to send you for a second opinion. There's no harm in that.

If your mother is not wanting to have the procedure done, she could talk to her doc about alternatives - like serial ultrasounds to keep an eye on the myoma, or even a different imaging test like a CT scan or MRI to evaluate it better.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you Dr.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Dr. sorry. SO is 3.4 mm a good thickness? Normal? Is the size of the fibroid considered big?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Im sorry. Im just very scared. Sorry if I sound redundant

Yes, 3.4mm is a normal thickness after menopause.

The fibroid is pretty small.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN