OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

How does it take for medroxypr or provera to work been

How long does it take...
How long does it take for medroxypr or provera to work been taking it for 5 days now and it seems the bleeding just got worst please I need answers and I need headaches to stop to much blood coming out of me
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

What was the reason for using this meds? Was it to induce withdrawal bleeding?

The reason is to stop bleeding I have been on my period seance feb 28 and since Tuesday has been very heavy

Did you start this meds in the middle of your cycle? When is your period due? Did you receive the instruction when to stop this meds?

I have been in my cycle for the pass three weeks and all my pcp told me is to take it for ten days but is seems to be worst
all the side effects are headaches and just feel very tired and I have overy that hurts a lot

Thanks for the information.

I think you received this meds to regulate your irregular uterine bleeding due to hormonal imbalance. Usually 5 to 10 mg is given for 5-10 days, and withdrawal bleeding would occur 3-7 days after stopping this meds. This will help you regulate your cycle. You can continue to take it, but if you are bleeding excessively, you can stop it and most likely withdrawal bleeding would start shortly. You can also discuss it with your PCP if he agrees to stop this meds in your case.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Ok thank you

You are welcome!

Thanks for visiting justanswer.