OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

4 weeks ago I had a UTI and called my primary dr. He sent me…

Hi. 4 weeks ago I...
Hi. 4 weeks ago I had a UTI and called my primary dr. He sent me for lab urinalysis which came back as infection - ecoli. He put me on a round of generic bactrim for 10 days and after 2 days off the medicine it came back. He sent me for another urinalysis which showed same infection. He gave me another 10 days of generic bactrim. This time is cleared up a LOT faster, totally clear urine and NO discomfort at all, but 5 days off the medicine and it is back again, cloudy urine and pain at end of urinating. I have CKD stage 3 and do no want to keep getting this. This is my 2nd ever UTI and this is SO frustrating. Should I go to my GYN tomorrow and get another source of treatment. I feel he may know a little more. QUESTION: besides the bactrim, will amoxicillin get rid of a UTI? Is that a better source to try? Thank you so much.
3/26/2018
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
Repeated infection can occur sometimes.
You may need a longer course of antibiotic.
I would advise to take an evaluation by an urologist.
He should be better knowledgeable in this subject.
He can take culture & see which antibiotic is most effective.
He can then consider it in the background of your CKD.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Would a urologist do a culture there in his office ?

He will likely send it to the lab for better results.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
CAn't my gyn do that?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Also, if my past 2 urinalysis show ecoli, can't they just prescribe something else for me ?

He can do that too.

But urologist would be able to find out why it is recurring.

Yes, they can prescribe another after seeing the report.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm sorry to ask, but how would he find out "why" they are recurring?

He can check for any structural abnormality in urinary tract.

An structural abnormality like vesicoureteral reflux, dilatation or stagnation of urine can pose a risk.

Urologist can check whether further tests like ultrasound, scope would be necessary.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Oh my... I have never seen a urologist for all that. I would much rather see my gyn I have had forever. He knows me.

Yes, you can take a second opinion from your gyn as he is much familiar with your problem.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I hope this makes sense. I am such a private person and would much rather stick with my gyn. Of course we have to do what we have to do, but Lord willing my gyn can figure this out. I had a UTI 10 years ago and same thing, ecoli. I deal with some IBS so it can be challenging sometimes to keep the area clean. I have to believe this can be cleared up. Have you ever used amoxicillin to treat a UTI?

E coli is the common bacteria for this infection.
Yes, I have used Amoxicillin several times.
However, Bactrim is the first choice in most cases.
Cephalosporin group, quinolones are also used.

It will clear up.

Please do not worry.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you. I will try. I will call my gyn in the morning and take my labs in with me. Lord willing he can give me something kidney friendly that will clear this up. Have a great night and thank you again.

You are always welcome.
Wish you early recovery.
Warm Regards.

Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)