OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My period is coming about every 6 weeks. I am 33yrs old and…

My period is coming about...
My period is coming about every 6 weeks. I am 33yrs old and never been on BC and no kids. Is it normal for them to be so far apart lately? They used to be every 4 weeks faithfully!
Also, I have never had a Pap smear (yes I know I should) but I have bad anxiety with this because I was sexually molested in high school.
3/26/2018
MD doc
MD doc, Doctor

Hi

Welcome to just answer

- Since when has your menstrual cycle increased to 6 weeks?

- any other change - decrease in the number of days of period or lighter periods?

- any other change in body?

- lately any mood swings?

- are you on any other medicines?

Regards

It had been 6 weeks for the last 4 cycles. Period is the same except for the timing. No changes in body, no mood swings, and only on allergy medicine

Thanks for the information

If you have had regular cycles of four weeks before and now the cycle duration has lengthened, then there can be various causes mostly related to hormonal imba***** *****ke polycystic ovarian disease, ovarian cysts, fibroids, thyroid disorders, unmanaged diabetes etc. But since you have no other symptoms like change in body weight, excessive bleeding or excessive pain during menstruation, there seems no cause of immediate worry. Stress is another major reason which can delay periods.

I would recommend you to wait, take a good diet with fruits and green vegetables, start a regular exercise if not doing it before. If there is no change in the next 2-3 months or you develop some other symptoms, then you need to consult an Ob-gynae for a detailed evaluation including hormonal assessment.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Regards

MD doc
MD doc, Doctor