OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 53 perimenopausal and dr. wants to remove a non

cancerous endometrial polyp. She said...
I am 53 perimenopausal and dr. wants to remove a non cancerous endometrial polyp. She said I will need general anesthesia which I am very scared of. I would like to do a spinal or epidural. She says that may be possible and I could meet beforehand with Anesthesiologist. I was talking to a friend of mine who did a 30 minute procedure on his knee and dr wouldn't let him do a spinal because they said surgery is too short and would take too long for spinal to wear off vs general anesthesia. Now I am concerned I will be in the same boat since my procedure is also short. Can you tell me if it is possible that I can do a spinal or epidural for this procedure? Also my dr diagnosed this with a vaginal ultrasound which shwed some uterine thickening and a polyp but not details. Shouldn't she have done a sonohysterogram? Wouldn't that show more details? I really just want to leave it in there because my fear of the after effects of anesthesia are so great. Am I taking a huge risk just leaving it there?. I do frequent episodes of light spotting, which I can totally live with.
3/25/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

First of all general anesthesia is very safe now a days . Secondly, it is always patient choice, your procedure can be done in spinal and if you want spinal you can get it, will just make your legs numb for an hour or two and it would be good in a way that you would not feel any pain. Vaginal ultrasound is better than sonohysterogram in diagnosing polyps so you are under right treatment. I think you should get it removed to be on safe side.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I live with mild chronic dizziness. Drs. don't know why. Can hardly turn head without feeling woozy. My concern is anesthesia is going to bring it on after I wake up. I have heard of people having dizziness for days, the really bad kind. I was reading that a Sonohystergram uses injection of saline solution into uterine cavity and better images are seen so we know exactly what we are dealing with.

Dizziness can occur after anesthesia but not after spinal or epidural so you can get them. There is no much difference in diagnosis of polyp with normal vaginal ultrasound or with saline.

since they are non cancerous do you feel like I should do this right away or could I wait another 6 months

There is no urgency in it , you can wait and make up your mind.

Please do not forget to click on 5 stars.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor