OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a pregnancy test done yesterday and is was negative…

Customer Question
Hi I had a...

Hi I had a pregnancy test done yesterday and is was negative and I got the quantitive pregnancy test back today and it was 1.8 yet I am 4 days late of my period and I have a lot of pregnancy symptoms. I have taken fertility steriods as I do not ovulate on my own. I’m going to see my doctor today but I really worried am I not pregnant

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

No but I do remember all of my test results and medication

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have an issue with my thyriod gland but am currently taking medication for it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/25/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually having two negative pregnancy tests, especially the quantitative blood test is a definite indication that you are not pregnant. The delayed period can be due to a number of conditions, including a hormonal imbalance. A hormonal imbalance is the most likely cause here, as even the medications which you are taking for fertility can cause imbalances in the hormone levels as well. This can be diagnosed by a doing a complete blood panel which would be diagnostic. The treatment would be with medications. Hormonal imbalances can also occur because of stress, anxiety, infections etc.

The second possibility is because of a thyroid issue. It is possible that the medications need to be changed as one of the major causes of absent periods in women is a thyroid disorder. A repeat thyroid function test would be important here.

I would suggest that you contact your doctor and get the following tests done,

FSH, LH, estrogen and progesterone levels

TSH, T3, T4 levels

Urine analysis

And an abdominal ultrasound

These will allow us to determine the exact cause and then treat it accordingly however it is unlikely that you are pregnant.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/