OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I missed my period for almost two months...had negative HPT…

Customer Question
I missed my period...

I missed my period for almost two months...had negative HPT and blood test was spotting and having back pain and stomach pain...doctor said everything is normal so what’s going on?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No and nothing it comes and goes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve had two miscarriages in the past

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/25/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 3 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn. I can respond shortly.
I don’t understand how your doctor said everything is normal but you’re so late on your period. I wonder if they did at least a transvaginal ultrasound in their office. The most common reason for your situation, is a functioning benign corpus luteum cyst. When the ovary releases an egg, the area the egg comes out of starts producing the hormone progesterone that either continues if pregnancy happens, or stops producing producing progesterone after about two weeks and a period happens. Many times, the ovary continues releasing progesterone even without pregnancy, and usually will stop in 4-6 weeks and the period happens. I hope you understand my information and that it’s been helpful.