OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve been on birth control for about 10 years (originally…

I’ve been on birth...

I’ve been on birth control for about 10 years (originally ortho tricycles) and October of 2016 I switched to Quartette Because I get really bad hormonal migraines esp right before period. It definitely helped with less migraines and not all were as intense but had other symptoms like horrible cramps during period and acne. I had my period in January and started Beyaz (using as an extended cycle so only would have 4 periods a year. Well I had a constant headache for the first 5 weeks of Beyaz so I went back to Fayosim (generic for Quartette) I took a total of about 5.5 weeks of the Beyaz and didn’t take any pills for 2 days so my period would start. Third day of “placebo” pills I started Fayosim got my period nothing out of ordinary, did go a little longer, I presume because I started the Fayosim on 3rd placebo day. Well about 2.5 weeks in I started to “spot” or so I think, which I feel was caused by the “My Brain” pill I took to help migraines only one pill. I stopped it and went to doctor he said probably that cause that spotting. Well I had little break but started spotting again for at least 6-7 days noting in morning when I wake generally, but basically all day. I get excited cause I think it’s no more spotting then it’s back. It’s been brownish red pink and varies.. of course I’m freaking out that I’m pregnant but have taken two pregnancy tests and both negative. I have been “cramping” or abdominal pain idk which to call it. Of course I’m stressing out about it, so I’m sure that doesn’t help.. but I also just started taking Amitriptyline on the 14th of March. Please help:(

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

With Beyaz it was a constant varying.. now I feel like it’s a stress headache.. I’ve dealt with headaches for many many years.. only time I feel sick is when I get myself thinking I’m pregnant...

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don’t think so? I’ve never had spotting all the years I’ve been on birth control so I’m freaking out. Also was prescribed Fioricet but have I let take. 1 and I was spotting before I took it.

3/24/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
please!!

How can I help?

what question do you have for me?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Why am I “spotting” after all these years of BC, is it the interactions of the Amitriptyline, or what. The cramps/abdominal pain. In all technicality, I should have been 99% protected from pregnancy, but I have read about implantation bleeding and so of course I’m freaking out, now..

I highly doubt implantation bleeding

especially with negative tests

I think it is just a shift of your own hormones with the BCP over time

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, good. That’s honestly my biggest fear.. I have another pregnancy test I plan on taking in about 3-5 days, even if I’m still spotting. If I was pregnant it should show by the. I would think...

absolutely

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I still have 8 weeks and 4 days before I take the estrogen only pills

Ok just hang in there if you can

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, thanks I’ll try.. have a great day
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor