OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am very close to menopause having been in perimenopause…

Hello. I am...

Hello. I am very close to menopause having been in perimenopause for about 7 years. My periods are very far apart now with some spotting although not a lot. I assume that what is happening now that I have not had a period in over 6 months but less than a year with very light spotting means I am close.to being in menopause

Doctor's Assistant: Are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?

No contraceptives but my husband has had a vasectomy.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?

Two years ago nearly on my pap and it was normal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Swelling or discoloration of what I'm sorry I.dont understand

3/24/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Are you asking if this is the normal course of being perimenopausal?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I also have low thyroid which is controlled with Eltroxin. I have had this condition for nearly 20 years.

Thanks but what exactly is your question about this?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I requested a call. Thanks.

Sorry but I can't do a call right now--we'll have to text on this page

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok I paid for the call so I'm not sure how that part out works but I can try to get I touch with just Answer about that. In terms of what I'm asking I am interested in knowing if it is normal for women who are very close to menopause to have periods that far apart as Peri menopause is coming to an end. I assume because it has not yet been a year that this is still within the realm of normal.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I started having irregular periods about 6 or so years ago as I entered peri menopause and they have become further and further apart.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
My pap has always been normal
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I assumed that this spotting or light period that I'm having now will be one of my last

Yes--what you're going through is pretty much the rule for perimenopause going into menopause

The periods become irregular and there's spotting at times.

Most likely you'll soon have your last period

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
having periods 6 7 or 8 months apart provided they're under 12 months would.be within the normal range. I assume now with this spotting or light period that I begin counting the 12 months again?

Yes--all normal

And most likely you'll have your last period withing six months

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I apologize for labouring this point but I was concerned that my period has been absent for that long and it coming back. If it had been absent for that many months permitted it has.not been 12.months what you're saying is that is normal. Again for me it has been more than 7 months. Thanks once again I appreciate your help.

No problem at all

Even with it coming back after that long is perfectly normal in perimenopause

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks for helping.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Dr. Vakul Aren
Phone call session started

I am Dr. Aren ,I have over 37 years of clinical experience,I will help with your query.Can you give me your number so that i can call you directly

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello. I spoke with another doctor via text and all is fine. Thanks for following up

You are welcome.

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice