OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

How to treat vaginal itching that is on the outside of the vagina?

The symptoms of having vaginal itching only on the outside of your vagina and towards the butt can most likely be due to yeast infection. It is one of the most common infections in females. Although there is no vaginal discharge or any odor from the vagina, it still seems to be due to yeast infection. Vagisil cream relieves symptoms only temporaril. It does not cure the infection.

Following is recommended for you now:

1.  Apply ointment Monistat vaginal cream. It is a broad spectrum anti-fungal agent. It is available over the counter without prescription & will help you greatly.
  2. Probiotics are one of the most important parts of a Candida albicans/yeast infection cure. There are many brands of probiotics easily available as over the counter at your pharmacy.
  3. If the symptoms persist, then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral antifungal medication like fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox) will then be required accordingly. Usually & most likely, the symptoms subside with these treatments & doctor visits & prescription medications are less likely required.
Read full interaction below »

What can I do for vaginal itching? It is only on the outside of my vaginal and towards my butt. I have been using vagisil cream and it helps for about 3-4 hours. I have had this for 3 days. I have not seen a doctor about it yet.

I'm taking Lisinopril and Atorvastatin. Also Aspirin fish oil a cq10. Been on this medicine for a long time. First time this has happened to me.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

What is your age?

Is there any vaginal discharge other than this itching?

Any odor from vagina?

No. I'm 77 years old

The symptoms of having vaginal itching only on the outside of your vagina and towards the butt can most likely be due to yeast infection. It is one of the most common infections in females.

Although there is no vaginal discharge or any odor from the vagina, it still seems to be due to yeast infection.

Vagisil cream relieves symptoms only temporaril. It does not cure the infection.

Following is recommended for you now:

1. Apply ointment Monistat vaginal cream. It is a broad spectrum anti-fungal agent. It is available over the counter without prescription & will help you greatly.
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor