OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had unprotected sex for the first time, three sessions…

Customer Question
I had unprotected sex...

I had unprotected sex for the first time, three sessions within 30 mins to hours I’m no sure, however, I’m worried because today is the day after and I can feel cramps and weird feelings in my lower (left) and sometimes slightly to the right in my stomach +I feel so tired and I want to sleep although I’ve slept well the other night.. is it normal?? Or does it mean I’m pregnant?? ..

Doctor's Assistant: How many weeks are you? What are all the medications you're using?

Weeks what? We just had sex the other day.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you taking any vitamins? How frequently per week do you exercise?

No ,I don’t. I exercise regularly.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/23/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, even if you did get pregnant yesterday it would NOT cause symptoms this quickly after the sexual intercourse. It would usually take at least a week before you start to experience any sort of symptoms. This is because while conception can occur on the day of intercourse or near it, until and unless implantation of the embryo takes place in the uterus you won't experience any symptoms at all.

So these symptoms are not due to any pregnancy (it is TOO early to tell if you are pregnant or not, the earliest we can detect a possible pregnancy is between 7-10 days after intercourse and that too with a blood test), however, they can be due to other causes. These can include simple hormonal imbalances which can develop after intercourse of this sort. These can cause lower abdominal cramps and also tiredness and this can usually resolve on its own within a couple of weeks. If necessary a hormonal blood panel can be done to diagnose the problem and then it can be corrected with medications.

The next possibility is that of pelvic inflammatory disease which can develop after sexual intercourse. It can cause lower abdominal pain urinary symptoms like frequency or burning or lower back pain or vaginal discharge. This would be diagnosed with a simple pelvic examination and an ultrasound of the region. Antibiotics would be necessary for this situation. However again this is less likely to be due to an STD because STDs need at least 3-4 days to start causing symptoms, symptoms occurring the next day are likely to be due to other organisms.

For now, I would suggest that you start using OTC anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily and increase the intake of plain water and electrolyte-rich fluids like Gatorade which can help improve the hydration status and help reduce the cramps.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/