OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 19.5 weeks pregnant with my second child. I recently…

I am 19.5 weeks pregnant...
I am 19.5 weeks pregnant with my second child. I recently learned of a friend developing preeclampsia in her second pregnancy and she didn't have it in her first. I thought the chances of that happening were low. I am wondering if you know what the statistical risk of developing preeclampsia is in the second pregnancy if it didn't occur in the first. I am 33 years old with no underlying health issues. Normal weight and BMI.
3/22/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now. I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you. I’ve also always had normal blood pressure.

Base on a study published in the British medical journal, the risk of pre-eclampsia is 4.1% in first pregnancy, but the risk increases to 14.7% in the second pregnancy for women who had had pre-eclampsia in their first pregnancy. Since you had no pre-eclampsia in the first pregnancy, the overall risk in your case would be 1.14%. These numbers are based on 763 795 women followed prospectively.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

that means it’s pretty unlikely I would develop it? Especially since I know someone who did in her second pregnancy without having it in her first?

Yes, that's true. It's very unlikely you would develop something like that this time.

Take care.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Thank you so much.

You are welcome!

Thanks for visiting justanswer.