OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

On 3/7/18 I had a Pap test done by a ARNP and in her notes…

Customer Question
On 3/7/18 I had...

On 3/7/18 I had a Pap test done by a ARNP and in her notes to my Internist she wrote “Screening for Malignant Neoplasm of Vagina”. I received a call from her office last week telling me “there were not enough cells to determine the results of the Pap test and you need to come back in and have the test done again. She told me during the visit there was some blood in my vagina coming from a small spot and she did a cauterization at that time. I still have a discharge that is yellow color but has no smell. Should I be alarmed?

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart) How long has she dealt with the discharge? Has she experienced this in the past?

I have had the discharge from the cauterization since 3/8/18.

Doctor's Assistant: When was her last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

Regular Pap test have been done every year. Last year after my annual visit and Pap test which was normal, I started having a yellow, fishy smelling discharge. She prescribed some methonidazole 0.75% vaginal gel which I used and it cleared up temporarily. Then, came back. Prescribed more same gel, same results. Then she prescribed metronidazole tablets.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

My first Pap test was after my son was born, I was 28. It came back abnormal and that doctor did Pap test every 3 months for several years. Then he removed my uterus and no abnormalities were there. Have had a Pap test every year since then, always normal. I am now 78 years old.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/22/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, I would not be worried about this situation at the moment the reason being that while the note said that they were screening for malignant neoplasm of the vagina (which is cancer), that does NOT mean that you have cancer. A Pap smear is actually done for this purpose, it is to pick up on abnormal cells early on before they progress and cause more problems. Secondly, the presence of a bleeding spot in the vagina alone is not an indication of any serious issues either, a small bleeding spot can be an ectropion which is essentially a break in the lining of the vagina or the cervix which can bleed intermittently. It is NOT cancer either. Lastly, the yellow discharge can be due to an infection which could have been caused by the pap smear but that is a common issue and it should be evaluated with the help of a culture and then treated with antibiotics. The reason I am mentioning an infection is because you have had a history of vaginal infections in the past after getting pap smears so it is possible that you have developed one now as well.

But the other findings are nothing to be concerned about. The only reason you have been called back in is because the sample taken initially was not adequate which does happen from time to time.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/