OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does a mother have to have blood clotting issues for the…

Does a mother have to...
Does a mother have to have blood clotting issues for the placenta to send a clot to a baby while pregnant? Would there be any signs the placenta clotted before or during labor and delivery? We a clot is formed it must travel through the heart and lungs to get to the baby's brain correct?
what if blood tests in mother and baby cpme back normal after birth?
3/22/2018
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn and I can respond shortly.
The placenta acts like lung tissue as mothers circulation injects blood into a large reservoir bathing the fetal small vessels and capillary system to have oxygen pass into the fetal circulation. There is no direct connection of mother and fetal circulation. Nutrients in addition to oxygen transfer across to the fetus mostly by osmosis. The only clot that can form and be a problem is in the umbilical cord that can be fatal. I hope this answers your concern about clotting.
Can a clot from the umbilical cord cause a stroke to baby and would there be signs of the clot on the monitor or anywhere else if there was in fact a clot in the umbilical cord
A clot in the cord will interrupt blood flow and the oxygen the fetus needs. This has happened and has been fatal to the fetus. If it happens in labor the monitoring would show the fetus in trouble from its heartbeat pattern. There are heartbeat patterns that doctors and nurses can identify and immediately do a csection to save the fetus. During this time, the fetal brain will be in danger because of the lack of oxygen and getting the baby out before 5-7 minutes may avoid brain damage from the lack of oxygen. I hope I’ve addressed your concerns and you can rate your satisfaction with my information.
if this happened before delivery what would happen? Would an ultrasound show problems at 28 or 35 wks? Or anytime at all?
The baby would have not survived a prolong clot correct?
fetal monitors would have caputerd distress if clot was during labor and delivery correct?
Unfortunately, if this happened before labor, the mother will sense something is wrong with decreased fetal movement and the ultrasound will show, most likely, a fetal demise. Like I said, once it happens the longer the fetus is without oxygen in a matter of minutes it’s too late to save the baby.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Okay, thank you.
You’re welcome.